Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2003, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Runner,

I have not yet been certified in Michigan. I have been certified though many years ago in both CA and Utah. I was quite young then and was not prepared to handle the advertizing and office work related to the larger customer base that fertilization requires. Hopefully I'm prepared at this point.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by philk17088
LGF,
What's the smallest lawn you would use a ride-on on?
I've put it on around 1000sqft, but hosed the lawn with weed control. I could have sprayed it though.

The thing is a tight lawn with flower beds on both sides or shrubs that grow to the ground are what will stop the PG from going into an area for spraying, but I have yet to be stopper just using fert, with the exception of a small gate.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've come to a point where I think its just easier to have a second man, an assistant to edge and do the paperwork while the actual tech does the dry app and spot with the ride-on! they'll together get another 5-10 lawns done and a better job. Does anyone else do their treatments that way?
Old 06-13-2003, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes I have someone cut in for me with a back pack.

But for the most part, on a regular basis I blanket the lawn and the next visit, I back pack to edge where I didn't get before.

Out in the lawn I spot spray with the PG.

And yes the 5-10 more lawns a day is wonderful, but only at a minimum labor expense.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used a helper but anymore I don't think it is worth it. If your skilled and not too nuerotic you can do most anything with the PG and a helper is standing a lot. I just don't have to spend that much time on hand trim and blow off.

If I have width I skip the hand edging and just back off the bed enough to run the regular nozzles and trim that way. I use the bottle that comes with the unit for other stuff. I hate stuff on my back anymore. I think I'll go with hand carry the next tri[p when I want to spot treat with some MSMA, Drive etc.

Any lawn the unit will physically fit on is fine with me. I keep a Scotts handheld in the hopper at all times and a Lesco push on the truck for old times sake except for 2 lawns. I don't even want lawns that I can't use the PG on anymore.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I'm trying to figure I know I personally can take the Ride-on and do most any lawn and even edge fairly decent but when I send someone else I know they don't always edge the best , so I feel having someone, (minimal labor cost), doing edging and getting paperwork done while the lead guy does the Ride-on work will do a better job and also get more done. We're applying grub treatments as well now so using the push spreader for those situations keeps the Ride-on for use with othr fert products. Just My opinion, but open to suggestions.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Word of caution -- I was talking to a buddy that is the commercial accounts manager for fairly good sized lawn company here in town and he was complaining about the PG.

He said their spray guy had done well over $5,000 in damage to shrubs and plants. He didn't think it was the PG's fault -- but it makes a careless spray tech very dangerous!!!!

I think it would be great for a highly qualified person -- but I would have reservation about turnign just anyone loose with one.

just my $.02

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog
Old 06-25-2003, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamons
Word of caution -- I was talking to a buddy that is the commercial accounts manager for fairly good sized lawn company here in town and he was complaining about the PG.

He said their spray guy had done well over $5,000 in damage to shrubs and plants. He didn't think it was the PG's fault -- but it makes a careless spray tech very dangerous!!!!

I think it would be great for a highly qualified person -- but I would have reservation about turnign just anyone loose with one.

just my $.02
So sending out some idiot who doesn't know what he's doing is the right thing to do?

ANY I mean ANY system of applicating cides can do damage in the wrong unqualified hands.

Not to sound ignorant to you, but a word of caution about some one else's practice with the machine is not worth posting about.

The machine does not spray anywhere it is not supposed to, the operator tells it where to spray. So who's fault is it when the spray goes somewhere it's not supposed to go?
Old 06-25-2003, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We agree LGF --

I was agreeing with Grassguy that it would be best to keep the PG in the hands of someone who does a good job and related a story about what a careless person does.

Terribly sorry to take up your valuable time reading my worthless comments.

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog
Old 06-25-2003, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nononono Just missunderstood what you were saying.