Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2006, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hhmmm...no reply, huh...that's o.k., I didn't think you would reply anyway...you're all for us giving you refferals, but you guys don't return the favor, regardless of what you say...
54" Lesco Ztwo
52" Hydro Viking WB
48" Hydro Viking WB
36" Belt Encore WB
36" Exmark Metro
20" Snapper
2 Stihl FC75 edgers, 2 Stihl FS80 trimmers, Echo SRM2400 trimmer, Stihl 600 blower, Stihl 550 blower, Stihl BR420 blower, Stihl HS80 hedge trimmers, Echo HC-150 hedge trimmers, Stihl HL 75 Pole hedge trimmer, Echo Pole chain saw
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosson lawn View Post
I am also moving to Jacksonville. I still have a job in Southern Fl. but i just spent all day yesterday out door hanging with my brother-in-law in orange park. I have Fridays and Saturdays off and plan to go back next weekend both days to do the same thing again.
Now this what i need to know. For the price of the home what is the base price of lawn care. Here is an example:
120K home and below would be 40 per cut times 42 times a year divided by 12 months equals 140$ a month. Is this the minimum price you go because this is what i was doing for a minimum.
Homes from 120k to 250k i am using 50 per cut minimum 175 per month minimum in these neiborhoods.
I am only asking because #1 I want to get business and #2 I don't want to under-bid i would like to be right in line with everyone else. Any replys would be helpful.
Oh yeah, On my door-hanger i included a percut price and per month estimate and accessed the yard when i put them on the door.
Good luck getting that kind of money in Jacksonville, Orange park or Fleming Island..it is cut throat in all those areas..there are companies maintaining lawns in Fleming Island Fla for 80.00/month on a 42 visit program...for homes in the 500,000 to 750,000 range..These are not chump companies but folks who have figured out the game. If you plan to charge 175/month..I would say that you are dreaming and should not waste your time. If you pick up any jobs....you will lose them shortly because 5 guys will be knocking on your clients door in the next 6 months. North Florida is a very price sensitive area..there is almost no margin in lawn maintenance in these ares and the market is very over crowded. You can eek out a living ...barely,,,but thats about it. There are no large lawn maintenance companies doing residential maintenance..over 3 or 4 trucks. The price on commercial lawn maintenance has dropped 30% to 35% since the obama years and shows no sign of improving. Collections on bad debt is way up.
The best way to make money is to go where people are willing to pay..Virgina, Atlanta, DC..Chicago...Charlotte...etc. Not North Florida.
Sorry for the cold hard truth...but it is the truth. I am approached by about 3 or 4 small cutters a year asking how to get started..I tell them..figure on beans and rice for a lot of years.
Couple little pockets of money around...but few and far between...and lots and lots of competitors. I talked to a guy today in Fleming Island who said he was 140 a month for the last 10 years and he is losing a lot of his clients. They are all expecting everything to be done and included now..not just mow edge weedeat and blow...and for much less than 140/month.
I dont see anyone in this market successfully able to charge what you are talking about charging ...and I have been around the industry over 3 decades here...
You may have gotten those rates in the Bush years....but not in the obama years.