Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2003, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra Gold 4 door ! Was not in Riverside today though was in Confederate Point and Julington Creek.

Tina
Old 08-15-2003, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good to see actual helpfull replies on lawnsite. I've been cutting up here in Atlanta for over a decade now, but there's a small chance I might wind up in the Jacksonville area a while in the future, but would stick to a one-man operation in my graying years to stay busy. I have a few questions myself.

Is St. Augustine grass the primary grass? What's your usual cutting height? I hear cutting it tall is the way to go.

Is Bermuda used much? I hate that stuff.

Do you guys mulch, discharge, or bag clippings?

Does the grass really grow enough to need mowing once or twice a month over the winter? 42 cuts a year is a lot more than I figured on. That'd be good news.

Any estimate on "average" lawn sizes? I would say here the typical new lawns are 5,000 -10,000 ft and the price runs about $30 for a half hour with a fast worker and a rider. More or less, depending on the other factors involved.

Here in Atlanta, there has always been plenty of work to do, I've never had much problem finding customers. Jacksonville, from my brief visit and research, sounds similar to Altanta in terms of income levels and demographics.

Finally and most importantly, where's the best beach?
Old 08-15-2003, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi bruce,

I hope I can help you here. St. Augustine and Bahia seems to be the grass here. At least on all my accounts. I usually cut at #3 it leaves it not to short or to high. I always mulch it's to hot here to spend all that time bagging.

All my lawns are 42 weeks a year and they all need it. A few the grass does not grow that much but I do it to maintain the leaves that would normally pile up. If they don't want to be taken care of in the winter due to thier grass not growing and they have a lot of leaves I will charge a clean-up fee when I come back during the spring. This helps them maintain the 42 cuts a year. That way the have a nice lawn all year round.

The price is about the same here. On the size lawn you are speaking of yes I charge $30 and this only depends on the way the lawn is set up. Anything larger depends on the lawn.

And as for your last question the beach I like the best is Huegonot. You can drive and camp on it. It's a lot like Daytona. I like the idea of just being able to park my truck close to the water and unload my fishing poles and fish right off the shore while working on a great tan. And let the kids play in the water. At times you will even see the dolphins swim with the boats passing by.

Hope this was of some help.

Tina
Old 08-19-2003, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone know how much to pay a commercial/residential sales rep? This is an excellent salesman and he will help my company grow. He is interested in a salary plus commision.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks Tina. I took a short trip this weekend and stayed at Amelia Island. We really liked the combination of laid back atmosphere, slower pace, and yet not being "in the middle of nowhere" and noticed that most of the grass was St. Augustine and that most of the homes in neighborhoods were about the same size lawns as here in the new neighborhoods. It also doesn't hurt that there are people there "with money". Hot n' humid, definitely. But it's about the same here in Atlanta during the summer. Saw people riding horses on the beach, and also some vehicles driving on it. I've been to beach areas that were beautiful, but had zero economic activity outside of hospitality stuff, and others that are just beach versions of the big city with bad attitudes and traffic to match. Amelia was a nice balance.

If my wife can score a job in Jacksonville we might wind up there someday. I have zero idea how to prune the various tropical plantings they use there, though. Can anyone recommend a book on Florida ornamentals? I don't even know what they're called, much less how to care for them. It'd give me something to read and dream about in the winter if I wind up in Chicago.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the bad thing about that area is it's a small area with a lot of competition...I mean a lot of competition...I tried to expand out there this year, but it didn't work out...every guy who starts out in Nassau county goes there, so there's a lot of guys charging next to nothing...I marketed that area heavily, got 2 accounts...had 10 call-backs, but could not beat the price of $20 bucks to mow,trim,edge,blow...to many lowballers out there...
Old 08-22-2003, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

brucec32,

I would suggest a book called Month-By-Month gardening in florida. It explains all the pruning, pest control, planting, watering and fertilizing that needs to be done on a month to month basis from Jan-Dec it's pretty good. It explains everything in detail. I picked mine up at home depot. As for Amelia Island I agree with goodbeus. Lot of competition in that area. There is money in Jax I would just not choose that particular area. The main prob with Jax is that anyone with a little mower is in the business. But i'm sure it seems that way everywhere. Even still there is penty of business here for everyone. Jax is currently one of the fastest growing citites in the state. I like it here. Tina
Old 08-23-2003, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I figured Nassau Co. might have more guys doing the work than customers requiring it. I'd consider anything in the metro area, even if it required some extra driving. I'm not going to be mowing lawns for $20 just to save drive time. But with things so flat there, almost every lawn looks easy compared to here, where almost every new home is built on a hilly dog lot with nothing smooth or level. I'll check that book out when I get a chance. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bruce,

I see you have a hemi dodge...I was looking at a 2003 2500 quad cab 2-wheel drive truck...what kinda gas mileage you get pulling that trailer??
Old 08-24-2003, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/scripts/htm...MENU_LH:LHLAWN

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com