Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2003, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get Aquascape's marketing material on a regular basis. I understand their 'simple 20 steps' and have seen several end results from the systems.

The look and feel does not come from the system but the installer. The installer has to have "the eye" to see what a natural water feature looks like. And many don't have 'it'. It's just like an art. Some people the touch and the eye to make nice art, but if they tell me their 20 steps to make the art, mine is going to look much worse than theirs.

As far as their marketing material and example projects I have seen photos of the same 'problems' in their material. A good example is promoting flagstones all the way around the perimeter and only one or two stones wide (much like above). I have never seen such a pond in a natural setting. Yes, they are popular and people accept them. But natural??? Instead, some geographic native rocks mixed with plantings, soil, and grass look natural around a pond.

While many Aquascape examples are wonderful, due to the style and incurring the necessary costs, the basic ones leave something to be desired.

Here #2 & #8 are what I'm talking about:
http://www.aquascapedesigns.com/insp....php?gal=ponds

here #2 and others:
http://www.aquascapedesigns.com/insp...hp?gal=streams

And #2, #16,
http://www.aquascapedesigns.com/insp...gal=waterfalls

Yes, 'natural' water features are VERY tough to do. And I'm not saying I am the expert at doing them. I'm just writing my impression when I see such projects.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Becarefull with your examples, some of those are almost as natural as a back yard pond can be.

But the flagstone boarders do have to go. But then again, it is the customers money, and the designers ideas that produce the end result, not Aquascape.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes the designers produce the end result.

Aquascape only provides the product. BUt when they show examples of 3'piles of rocks, other people become accustomed to it and accept.

I do like the Aquascape "concept" and products. But there are some examples of "odd" work that filter into their pool of examples. pardon the pun.

Old 06-23-2003, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Green in Idaho
Yes the designers produce the end result.

Aquascape only provides the product. BUt when they show examples of 3'piles of rocks, other people become accustomed to it and accept them.

I do like the Aquascape "concept" and products. But there are some examples of "odd" work that filter into their pool of examples and marketin material. pardon the pun.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

i appreciate the honesty i will remember what you wrote for the next one i build if i do. many problems contrubuited to the work. first off my lack of knowledge building one.
the pond was build for my mothers group home that she runs. they got a sum of money from a co workers death and i did the pond for free. they only had $700 to buy everything i needed. all the rock was donated, so i did not have a choice on that.
there were other problems but i am not going to put blame the turn out of the pond on those.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did notice the memorial plaque. And it certainly looks like a good installation. I guess your Mom will let you know, but otherwise be sure to check back in a month or so for water quality and such. Maybe you could "adopt" that pond for maintenance to learn the water/plant chemistry etc. (if need be).

I like to surf the Internet for pictures of waterfalls, and streams. And get a good mental picture of them. Even bookmark some to the point, "that is one I can do in the future" and try to reproduce it. Kinda like using a model to paint a portrait. But mostly it's getting the customer to pony up enough money to pay for a enough material to make it good.

I just saw a cool water feature on HGTV. A huge potting vase sat upright and it poured over the top down into a pool of peblles. The pebbles were in a pool with a pump at the bottom to pump back into the pot. Would be a good unique feature for someone on a budget.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As I look at it more, and with the additional information, in the same situation here is what I would do.

Build a only a pond without the falls. Use the flagstone from the falls to complete the rock area so that the small rock would not be used at ground level. Patio straight to flagstone and then to the turf. Creeping tyme or other groundcover in between some of the cracks. Within the flagstones have 4 planter areas to concentrate large shrubs and flora. In the pond build a bog shelf for some tall water plants to give it more height.

Then the small rock goes inside to made the bottom. Since people are that close, there needs to be something for them to see on the bottom instead of black. I would make the edges a little less sloped and with a shelf to hold the small pebble and a few cobble rocks right next to the flagstone. The look right along the waterline is important.

Then instead of a falls an nice umbrella fountain, or a something for the sound effect... And to be really cool, I would 'try' to paint the first 10" of the patio to match the flagstones, to blend the two surfaces....

just dreamin..... later.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Green in Idaho
Well I am not one to blow smoke up somebady's arse, so I'll tell ya like I see it.

It doesn't look natural!
It looks like every other out-of-place pond with a 3'ft stack of rocks to make a falls.
The liner is showing.
The end of the biofalls is showing.
The rocks do not blend naturally.
The differen rocks do not have similar geologic character.
Apparently there's not much bottom rock or content like most others.

You have completed the proverbial "just like every other back yard pond" that is out of place. And Aquascape is quiet guilty of promoting UNnatural water features. They ought to feel formal or natural-- not "odd."

And being that I like to offer solutions instead of only constructive critizism----- If someone came to me to ask about a pond in that location. I would say, "Great! It's nice right off the patio and all. Let's do a formal pool with a water fountain integrated with the red brick theme that is already there. It SHOULD look like it was a planned part of the house or the yard. OR just put in a pond and a fountain."

A 3' waterfall sticking up out of the FLAT yard looks out of place. If they really wanted a 3' waterfall, a HUGE backdrop berm ought to go along with it and lots of background and surrounding plants.

Bottom line is whatever the customer wants though, right?

And I'm sure they wanted that style, just like the others do. Due to cost and not knowing the alternative choices.... "No, I'm sorry I don't put in that style just because it's cheaper, -it looks odd."

Yes, you have done a good job following the 20 steps fo Aquascape and it could be a poster project for them. But IMO the style and feel of it are lacking.

Does it make you feel like you are sitting next to a stream when you sit there? Or do you feel like you are sitting next to a pile of rocks with water mysterieously appearing and dropping down to a bucket?
We all appreciate the honesty , But like the captionsreads " My first waterfall" To the builder nI give props it looks good ,obiviously he hasnt been doing this for ten years . Lets see you install a synthetic putting green and let me riddle holes all in your work about unaturle setting when have you ever seen a natural waterfall in someones yard granted there are people out there that live on a natural setting ,but to make one that looks 100% realistic your either crazy of Walt Disney ,Lets see some Pics of your natural waterscapes.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

And sorry about the misspellings ,my spell check wasnt on.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Floridalandcare
Lets see you install a synthetic putting green

Ahh the next big thing. Hey have you ever installed one? I take it you have.

Sorry for the topic change, but fill us in. Send me a private message, or start a thread about them if you wish. I'm verry intrested in offering them along with the whole watergarden thing. The ones I've mentioned it to thought it sounded good, "a putting green with a water hazard and sand trap coming to a back yard near you!"