Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-13-2003, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

New business- Ever tried this?

I am new to the business, and I am only doing it part time. I know it is late to get started, but I have already put out 1000 fliers and am waiting for a response.

Question:

Have any of you tried contacting the local banks for business? I am thinking that the foreclosures, and bank managed properties need upkeep. Also have you gotten anywhere networking with Realtors?

Thanks for the help!

*May your shoes and wallet always be green!*
Old 06-17-2003, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

The only question I can help on is the realtors. Yes, I've gotten jobs but it's been kind of a one-two shot deal. Once the new homeowners are in, most want to do it themselves. It does make for some good backfill work though. One thing realtors can help with is if you live in an area that has an area with lots of vacation homes. Absentee owners usually use real estate agents to recommend landscaping/lawn care services.

One other thing to think about is finding another small lawn care business and offering to take their overflow work. I have been turned on to some very good work here that one guy just couldn't get to. Maybe someday I can return the favor to him.

Finally, Look at some of the small businesses in your area and bid on their work. That's usually year round maintenance and it's stable.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Allen, good advice. I picked up 4 yards last night while my daughter and I were passing out more fliers. It was after 7:00 and more people were home. They came outside and I gave them bids on the spot. All signed up, but all wanted to haggle price. I settled for $40 a cut. (They are oversized lots)

Thanks again!

*May your shoes and wallet always be green!*