Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2003, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Sick Live Oak

I noticed one of my Live Oaks that were planted about 5 years ago started looking bad. I had seen my neighbor spraying his trees (Live Oaks also) then saw that mine was beginning to lose it leaves in just a few days it is now almost lost all its leaves. Any advice would be appreciated, I live in south Texas and we are about 10Ē behind in rainfall.

Thanks

MJ
Old 06-16-2003, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oaks are strong slow growing trees. the cause wouldn't be because of lack of rainfall this year but lack of rainfall in the past. have you checked the soil to see if it is defiecent in iron. iron is a key macro-nutrient for oak trees. you may want to try posting this on the arborist site. good luck to ya
Old 06-17-2003, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

joshua, no offense,but the info you are relating to may work up north but not here in Texas.
Mr. Jimmy - you have to examine the leaves on your live oak tree that are on the ground. If the leaves on the ground have green borders and the veins are brown (called veinal necrosis), than you have a pretty good indicator of Oak Wilt.
Oak Wilt is a problem of huge dimensions in Tx.
If not, than sudden decidiousness (leaf drop) may be a stress factor due to improper trimming, poor timing of trimming or insect infestation.
In Texas, if a live oak has surpassed two years, it is recommended not to continue to irrigate through your sprinkler system.
Shallow rooting is promoted and stress acts much quicker.
I woud call the US Forest Service, they have a program wherein if a Live Oak is identified with oak wilt, allegedly they will go in for half of the treatment costs in order to save the tree. However, speak with a US Forest Service rep for more details.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, but as it turns out the problem were caterpillars. I sprayed them and all my other trees. And the Houston newspaper had an article about these caterpillars and how to get rid of them. They are green with white whiskers/hair and come from a cocoon type of thing that has to be penetrated before you spray. I got to the other trees before they could do much damage, but the one that they did get looks bad. Iím hoping it will come back. This tree had always looked kind of sickly and this was the first year that it really came out and looked healthy and then boom, its gone. This is a lesson I will never forget.

Thanks

MJ
Old 06-17-2003, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Where is the arborist site?