Register free!

Old 07-06-2003, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what do u do with the coon after u murder, i mean, shoot him?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can answer that one Bobby. We skinned him, took his hide to Kansas City to sell. Use to make a fair chunk of change that way.

We did have a few old timers who would take the carcass and cook it to eat.

Before you start hootin about how unfair it is to hunt coon, anyone who does it will tell you that the dog is what you use to kill the coon. The .22 just gets him to the ground so they can fight.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

now thats what i call fair. you invade the animals home, when he runs up a tree to hide, you knock him out of the tree, so that one or two trained animals, 10 times its size, can mangle it. wow, that sounds really neat! where do i sign up? yea right, i think u folks need a check up, from the neck up. that rates right up there with clubbing baby seals. shame on you
Old 07-07-2003, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once again Bobby, your ignorance shines through. Obviously, you have never seen a coon and a dog fight. A medium sized coon can hold off a dog "10 times his size" (although that is a gross exageration, more like 3 times his size) and, if the coon can get the dog into water (such as a creek or a lake, or whatever) the coon will 9 times out of 10 win the fight.

I still dont understand how you can fish, which is killing animals, and yet still sit there and condemn the rest of us for killing other animals. Do you have any idea how hypocritical that is?

And I have a question for you, do you like to eat meat? You know, beef, veal, pork, bacon,eggs? If you answer yes to any of that, well, your helping kill all those "Poor innocent creatures" such as cows and pigs and baby chickens. And if you like veal, guess what that is? A young calf. It makes it really hard on all of us to believe you or take you seriously when you are so two-faced.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Old 07-07-2003, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

440 grains

Swampbeast/Greginalaska,

Greg is right. I had the gunsmith put the lead in the front of the stock, spread over the last 1.5 inches. And I should have said grains, not grams. (thanks Greg!) They also put in 2 resined match sticks into the bedding that hold the barrel at true. This creates a "guide" for the barrel to come back to at cold. Keeps it very accurate.

You would think that 440 grains would be a lot, but with the synthetic stock being so lite, it tends to do 2 things-Bounce when shot from the recoil, and it doesn't have enough front end weight to sit heavy in the forward palm, thus causing crosshairs to wander. So long story short, I find it to be very comfortable and not heavy or awkward.

I sight my rifle at 1"over at 100 yards, or dead on at 200. With this system on a bench with bags I can shoot a group of 3 that you can cover with a dime. I choose this distance because I can just point and shoot at any target out to 300 yards. Just keep in mind how much rise and drop you have with your ammo.

Biggest advice I can give , is shoot your rifle a lot. get used to it and know how it shoots at cold, and at hot. (the barrel) Most rifles will move after the barrel heats up, some as much as .5 inches. Since most kill shots are performed on a dead cold barrel, let your rifle cool after sighting it in, to recheck. take notes and measure the movement from hot to cold. This way you will always know where to place your shot. This has a profound effect when you start getting into long range shooting.

Good shooting!

*May your shoes and wallet always be green!*
Old 07-07-2003, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

there are animals that were raised for food, and there are animals that were not. pigs, chickens and cows were raised by man for food. lets face it, your full of it on the "racoon can easily beat the dog" nonsense, the coon dont stand a chance while u are standing there with a gun. you are being cruel to both the dog, and the racoon, for no other reason than the fact that it somehow"gets your rocks off". now that my friend, is weird, and just plain sick. you are gaining pleasure, and personal satisfaction by watching something die. pray brother, pray
Old 07-07-2003, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IamMe, oh okay. Now I get it. Cool, I might need to do that on a couple of my synthetic stock rifles.
Good advice about the hot and cold barrels, I will have to do that on my 7MM Ultra Magnum, I dont really like making 500 yard shots, but with that rifle, anything less than that is to easy! Ha ha! Awesome gun, really awesome cartridge.

Bobbyboy, so I am to think that because one animal is specifically destined for the plate, its okay to kill them? But if its wild, to kill them is evil? You are very messed up.
Have YOU ever seen a coon fight a dog? Obviously not. I have. I have seen a coon whoop my Pitbulls butt! I have also seen a coon hold a Bull Mastiff off for nearly 30 minutes.
Actually, I dont hunt coons. I have seen it done a couple of times, but hunting with dogs is just not my style. I prefer stalking the quarry myself. But, if anybody wants to hunt coons with dogs, that is fine with me, I dont care. I support them completely.
You know, I read your posts, and I laugh. I cant help it! They are so silly! You are very inconsistent.
My offer still stands, you come down here, and I will make sure you get a good hunting experience, and we will see what you think of hunting after that.

By the way Elephantnest, I like the pic!

Old 07-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Banned

Id like to know how any body who has never been on a coon hunt could know how a coon would do in a fight with a dog.

Ive had blue tick dogs blinded in fights with coons.As far as the animal haveing no chance at all ,ive hunted bear with nothing but a 12 inch bowie knife.

Mister swampbeast
I like all fassets of hunting ,ive hunted all over the united states and other countries around the globe ,some times legal ,some times illegal.Ilike hunting with bluetick dogs i like hunting byself.

Also id like for the anti hunter guy to go to a stock yards and listen to the pigs squeal.See the cows get there brains bashed in by the efficent machines they use to kill them.
Then you think about that bacon and beef you eating.

Btw We not only keep that coon hide we eat that coon to,a coon cooked right tastes better then a beef roast.

JWH
Old 07-07-2003, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john wesley hardin
Id like to know how any body who has never been on a coon hunt could know how a coon would do in a fight with a dog.

JWH
When you live close to some woods like I do, but still near to civilization, coons are very common. Coons are forever popping into my backyard and the dogs are fighting them. Usually I manage to get out there and pop him with my .223 before the dogs get hurt, But sometimes it goes on for a while before i get out there.

Bear with a bowie huh? Now thats a little to much for me. I prefer a good .45-70 lever action or something along those lines, knife? No way. Not for me. I'm to chicken!