Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2003, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

bobby, bag limits are adjusted annually after researching the deer population each year. We took 48 deer last season in my neighborhood, yet I counted 23 deer in my yard last week. Deer management is just that, management of the population.

You're in luck however, the number of hunters is on the decrease, one of the reasons for the increased bag limits. The deer population is on the increase too for this reason. Extinction? Ain't gonna happen!
Old 07-19-2003, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pelican, those are some nice bucks you got there, very nice. Wish I lived up there! Well no, but I do wish I could hunt up there!

Old 07-20-2003, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Swampbeast, here's a buck my buddy got in the next County. An 8 point, but the biggest spread (22") and heaviest tines I've seen around here. The base is almost as thick as a wrist.

One of the guys got a 12 point, it looked like it had a briar patch up top! I missed the outdoor lineup for photos by 10 minutes, it was pretty impressive!
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2003, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Pelican,

Some nice bucks there.

We had a nice one taken off of my in-laws property last year(made my 4 pointer look tiny)LOL

I missed a nice one with my bow last year in the same spot that the big one was taken, rushed the shot and killed a tree instead.

Dan
Old 07-21-2003, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if it continues this way, extinction is inevitable. its not CONSERVATION, its MANAGEMENT. managing the population, till its gone.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

bobby, before management, deer were taken 365 days a year as a food source and as were needed. Today in NY, you can hunt 3 weeks out of the year with firearms and and 5 weeks with bow. 365 vs. a max of 35. The number of hunters is on the decline. How does this add up to extinction?

Conservation and Management go hand in hand, without limiting the overall deer population, a good portion of them will end up starving to death. My area is one of the most densely deer populated regions in NY and it's not uncommon to find a carcass in the woods due to starvation.

Face it, you don't give a toot about the deer, you just don't like hunters! You're really beginning to sound foolish! You ought to try sitting in the woods a while, might cure you of that canine phobia.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"deer were taken 365 days a year, as a means of survival". this is correct, however daniel boon had to practically jump on the animals back to kill it, its a little tougher to get that close to a wild animal, than it is shooting them with deadly accuracy from long range, as is the case today. there also wasnt rapidly decreasing habitat back then as there is todayyou couldnt do drives with 3 men back then, u needed 100, there were too many other places for the deer to run other than right at the guys on the recieving end of the drive. now, u can succesfully drive around here with 2 walkers and one stander, they got no where else to except into the waiting man. look, if u agree habitat is decreasing, where will they go when its gone? live in a condo maybe? thin the herd to match the habitat, eliminate more habitat, thin the herd to match the habitat, eliminate more habitat.......where does it end up?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbygedd
[B]"deer were taken 365 days a year, as a means of survival". this is correct, however daniel boon had to practically jump on the animals back to kill it, its a little tougher to get that close to a wild animal, than it is shooting them with deadly accuracy from long range, as is the case today. B]
Damn, I just can't understand why ole Daniel just didn't use his RIFLE, which he was reportedly a very crack shot with. Not a student of history, huh, bobby? Get a clue.

Everyone is a product of their choices, not their circumstances.........

I don't normally talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I usually ask for large fries...............
Old 07-23-2003, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Member

So going along with Bobby's theory, does anyone else here really think that someday in the future there will be no natural habitat (i.e forests) for our over-populated deer herd?

I for one find that to be kinda silly.

- There are federal and state protected lands that will always be around.

- There are millions of acres of forests owned and managed by lumber companies. Forests that are cut incrementally and replanted...otherwise said-lumber companies would go out of business.

- Millions of acres of privately-owned land (forested of course).

- Acres and acres of commercial-owned hunting lands. Yes people are in the business of charging for prime-hunting lands, or leasing lands to hunters.

While some forests are being cut and cleared for human development, there will always be tons of places for deer to thrive.

Deer don't need forests to survive in, they have adapted just fine to cleared farm land.

It's amazing how many facts have been laid out for you, including several links to articles about how the deer population is out-of-control and population control is a NECESSITY, and you still rant and rave about how deer will have to live in "condos" in the future.

Get a grip Bobby...please
Old 07-23-2003, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbygedd
"deer were taken 365 days a year, as a means of survival". this is correct, however daniel boon had to practically jump on the animals back to kill it, its a little tougher to get that close to a wild animal, than it is shooting them with deadly accuracy from long range, as is the case today.
Ha ha ha! Go read your history books a little better before you go spouting off! Daniel Boone and men of his day could pick off a corncob at up to 500 yards using IRON SIGHTS! 500 yards is quite a shot by todays standards, even using super accurate rifles with massive scopes and high powered ammo, that is a very long shot.
When the .50 Sharps rifle came out during the Civil War the longest accurate shot officially recorded was 1123 yards.

Please, use your head for something besides a hat rack. Remember this old proverb, "It is better to let people think you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." A bit late for you though.....