Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2003, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I am an avid hunter and fisherman. Have hunted all over South Dakota, Missouri, Iowa, Texas. Bow/Rifle/blackpowder, whatever. Its great. I strongly subscribe to the theory ,"eat what you kill". My old man made sure of that. My old man built rifles as a hobby, so I have seen plenty of terrain in my day. Nothing like poppin' Coyotes on snowy afternoon.

There is a place in Northwest Missouri about 80 miles outside of KC called Mound City. They sit right on the Squaw Creek game refuge. it is on the flyway for ducks and geese and they have spectacular hunting there. Lots of the local guys guide. It is a sleepy little farm community and the prices are reasonable. They also have some outstanding deer hunting. Last year they took a 200+ BC Non-Typical off of some land just outside the refuge. Check 'em out.

Texas has great deer, hog, turkey, pheasant, quail, dove, and varmit hunting. Depending on how serious you hunt horns will reflect in the price. They can get down right expensive quick.

Bass fishing can't be beat down here. We have over 50 lakes with in driving distance of D/Fw, but 3 that have produced state record Bass. Lake fork just threw a 18+ pounder and routinely puts out fish over 12. Crappie is also outstanding in the lakes around here.

As far as rifle selection I use a Remington stainless .270 in a mylar stock. Top it with a Luepold 3.5 x 10. Put 440 grams of lead in the front to keep it from hopping and man it shoots dead on . also dropped the trigger pressure to 6 pounds for an easy squeeze.

Personal best is a one shot drop on a buck at 310 yards outside of Throckmorton.

Any responsible outdoorsman is a friend of mine!

*May your shoes and wallet always be green!*
Old 07-02-2003, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobby SHUTUP
Old 07-02-2003, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LeoS818
Bobby SHUTUP
Hey, hey, hey...

I know I am in "ManLand" here and I am sorry to jump in, but I have been watching you guys.

Swampbeast, with all due respect---where in God's name did you come up with your theory of animals not having nerve endings or being capable of experiencing pain??

As far as your highly developed thesis on how an animal can chew off their own limb if caught in a trap--I can tell that you put alot of time and higher level thinking in on this one, but...the reason is out of necessity, not lack of nerve endings.

Swampbeast, I don't disagree with you on the need for some population control, by hunting and the other reasons that were sited on this thread. Just on your unfounded statement about an animals' inability to experience pain. I have seen animals in pain, and believe me- they are able to feel..if you have never seen this up close, than you are a lucky man.

No, I am not a tree hugger.
No, I am not a member of PETA.
No, I am not a vegetarian, I even eat venison that my family hunts.(sorry Bobby)
Yes, I have shot an animal before.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dear Mowerbabe,

They dont experience pain like we do. Go look at their nerve endings. Seriously. Go down to your local veterinarian and watch him work on an animal, if you get to know the vet, he will let you in to watch. Now, go get some pictures (because surgeons wont let you in to watch a human surgery) and compare the two. Any doctor/veterinarian could tell you that the nerve endings don't exist that transmit the "Pain" feeling. And there is another problem, animals dont have the mental capacity to feel pain. Pain is mostly the way you think about it. Ever notice how some guys (or girls) can stick their hand in hot water and hold it there a lot longer than someone else? Pain is mostly in your head.
Where do I get this info? My veterinarian, who hunts as well. Then I decided to test this theory by asking the doctor that operated on my grandmother, he agreed. Plus research I have read about in various magazines, Popular Science and The Medical Journal, two very up to date publications.

Now, I am NOT saying animals dont feel stuff, but they simply dont go through the mental agony that humans go through when they get shot or maimed. Animals dont have emotions. They just react. They feel the bullet enter thier body, but they dont think "I just got shot! Oh my! I am gonna die! Oh no! Who is gonna look after Jr.?!" They dont do that. Something thwacks em so they take off running. They just dont have the brains necessary to feel pain.
And Mowerbabe, you neednt worry, nowadays there is precious little that is still considered "Man's Land"

As to you Bobby, you notice I did not say I ran out of comebacks, I got sick of arguing with the Human Broken Record!

Old 07-03-2003, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by I am Me
Top it with a Luepold 3.5 x 10. Put 440 grams of lead in the front to keep it from hopping and man it shoots dead on .
Never heard of this. You put lead on the scope? Where at? Tell me more, please!

Old 07-03-2003, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Swampbeast, Thanks for explaining what you meant, you are more of a gentlemen than I thought you to be.

Have you ever had the opportunity to hunt Elk? A customer of mine is a huge hunter and he goes on these Elk Hunting Exhibitions. We have eaten Elk once from him.

(Sorry to jump to conclusions about you.)
Old 07-03-2003, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mower_babe

No, I am not a tree hugger.
No, I am not a member of PETA.
No, I am not a vegetarian, I even eat venison that my family hunts.(sorry Bobby)
Yes, I have shot an animal before.
My hats off to you mam!
Old 07-03-2003, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by I am Me

There is a place in Northwest Missouri about 80 miles outside of KC called Mound City.

Do you have any more information on this place or who I might could contact? Thanks!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Think nothing of it Ma'am.

Yes, I have hunted elk, I think I enjoyed the scenery and the camping and hiking more than I enjoyed actually shooting a medium size bull elk. Absolutely beautiful country up in northern Colorado, I took a ton of pictures. I'll see if I cant get a few pictures and post em.

Speaking of eating the things we hunt, does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do with nearly 300 pounds of whitetail when its already ground? I also have about 25 pounds of elk, about 15 of duck, and an entire deep freezer full of hog. Is there any combination I should try to make sausage, I have heard of some recipes for mixing these different species, but never have actually gotten my greedy grabbers on one. So, if anyone has an actual recipe, and is willing to share.....please do!

And Bobby, why dont you come down here to Texas, I will make sure you have a good hunting experience, you might end up liking it again. Who knows? You might enjoy the exhilaration (sp?) of having to get within 5 feet of a hog to kill it with a spear.

Ah heck, why dont you all come down and we'll have us a big ol' Texas style barbeque!

Old 07-03-2003, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Swampbeast

Speaking of eating the things we hunt, does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do with nearly 300 pounds of whitetail when its already ground?
I make jerky out of ground venison! It is great!