Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2003, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

deck chains suck

I have came to the conclusion that these dang deck chains suck. I've been tinkeing around with different air pressures in my tires. So I've been adjusting the bolts and chains way more than normal. That's how I came to the conclusion they suck.

I think I might convert them over to the floating bolts like Country Clipper has. Simple fine adjustments with a socket and ratchet.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 06-18-2003, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Never had that problem with my exmark.

Smooth, even cut out of the crate.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by deason
Never had that problem with my exmark.

Smooth, even cut out of the crate.
Ditto.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is not an "Exmark" or any other brand issue. Last time I checked, your brand had chains and bolts for adjustments. It's pretty much a standard design and they are all a pain in the @ss to adjust, I don't care what the sticker on your mower says.

It's not that the mower was cutting badly either. The Y/K demo that had 1/2 reverse rake cut better than the properly adjusted Exmark demo. So it's not finicky about how it cuts. I'm the finicky one who wants precise adjustment.

Go let half the air out of your rear tires and see if your deck rake is still 1/4" and see if it's still cutting at the height the indicator says. That is what I'm getting at in a nutshell. The chain and bolt style isn't easy to adjust unless I'm somehow going a it all wrong and as I was cussing I remembered the Country Clipper design.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 06-18-2003, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have had 3 different brands of mowers with chains deck supports, not a one had any problems with the chains or bolts.

Of course over time, the chain links and bolts will wear, but they will all wear evenly.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Envy, I didnt mean that it was a "brand" issue. I just stated the truth about a machine that I own.

You know why the decks are so hard to adjust on "these" machines? Because the adjustments are not meant to be made every day. These adjustments should be made only when -

A) They are assembled by a qualified tech.

B) Replacement of parts warrants the removal of the deck

C) Quality of cut is an issue

As you said , there was nothing wrong with the way it was cutting, you were just trying to get a precise adjustment. Sounds like that you may be having trouble getting it back to its original setting. I suggest taking it to your dealer and getting a professional to adjust it properly.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never said anything was broke, worn or any likewise problems. It's just not easy to adjust when you want too. The old Murray takes all of about 2 minutes to totally re-adjust perfectly.

I know the adjustments are not "meant" to be made every day. Believe me, I never noticed that it was much of a pain to adjust to begin with. After getting the height set to match the selector, I realized it was no cup of tea. But it was no biggie.

Now that I've tinkered around and made several air pressure changes out of curiosity, I've also made several adjustments to those chains. Now is when I've realized the adjustment is a real pain sometimes.

Now I'm thinking it wouldn't be such a bad idea to convert those over to something that is just as functional, yet a breeze to adjust reguardless of how often an adjustment has to be made.

I did manage to get it adjusted properly every time. It just wouldn't hurt for it to be quicker and easier when you are trying to do some quick monkeying around like I sometimes do.

Old 06-18-2003, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ever notice your the only one that thinks that? Ever thought that mfg never intented you to be "monkeying" around with it? I have never had one that needed anything done to it at the chains. Never. Most people don't.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They can be difficult to adjust at first. Once you get the hang of how to adjust them though they get a lot easier. The most important thing to remember is that you always have to adjust 2 chains at the same time.

It's just like a push mower. If you only adjust 1 wheel the mower will teeter on the wheel directly in front of (or behind) and the wheel to the side of the wheel that you adjusted. You have to adjust both wheels on that side or both wheels on that "axle".

Old 06-18-2003, 05:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

OT, sortof. How much air are you running and are both sides the same? Be sure and use a "low pressure guage". The mowers at our shop come crated with enough air to knock down a brick wall, we set them at 14 psi. Also, use a tape measure to check the circumference of your tires at the proper psi, one may actually be taller than the other. We sell your mower and I can tell you all it will hang on a hill better than anything else we sell, except the Ferris.