Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2003, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JRCO Spreaders?

Has anyone had experience with JRCO fertilizer spreaders. I was thinking of replacing the unit I have. The JRCO has a foot pedal for open/close and a special digital device that slows the motor without lowering the voltage like a rheostat does. My current model has the rheostat, so it doesn't have much torque at lower speeds. The JRCO also has an optional deflector to keep the fertilizer out of beds and the street.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

JRCO Spreader

Have had one for going on three years (no side deflector) and havnt used the Gandy drop spreader or the Earthway SS2400 since its purchase (well almost) I have a couple of small lawns where the Earthway works the best. For large properties the JRCO just cant be beat, a bit pricy but no more red face and pounding chest from pushing the Earthway thank you.
BobR

Old 06-21-2003, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Spyker, which I believe overall is basically the same as the JRCO in it functionallity. It is great for large areas. Although calibration can sometimes tend to be a bit difficult and involved to be accurate (if you follow the manufactures procedure and use their collection attachment) it definately saves time and sweat!
There are still those smaller properties that you really just need to break down and accept that a w/b spreader would just be best.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2003, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

KLMLawn,

Are those white springs under your casters? Or are they just spacers?
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-21-2003, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

He put them on for some suspention.

Last time he posted that pic someone asked the same question.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TLS, Yes, they are springs to help take some of the additional stress and weight from being directly transferred to the castor mounts and frame, as well as make the ride a bit smoother. They are quite firm, so unless the terrain is very bumpy, it doesn't change the deck height when cutting. I usually cut all my customers at the same height for whatever time of year it is, so I just make the adjustments when changing the blades... most times it is about 3"-3 1/4". I now have a 3 gallon PG spray tank mounted opposite the fuel take on the left side of the machine, and two pieces of flat stock with the Tee-Jet nozzels mounted thru them which are welded to the insides of the two front castors.
Basically I have created a homemade Z-Spray using similar parts from various places and a machine I already had and saved $4000 or more in the process.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a pretty cool set up. Do you wash machine daily when you use it and do you find it eating up the machine?
Old 06-21-2003, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

How much do these unit cost? They dont list prices for the jrco or the spyker. Thanks guys.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quail Creek, The Spyker cost about $750 it is Stainless Steel Frame and gate/Poly Hopper ... I believe the JRCO is similar construction and costs about $1000.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

JRCO $$

Quail Creek LC - If memory serves correctly I think I paid $800 for the spreader (stainless frame, cast housing, aluminum spinner, poly hopper & wiring harness) I already had the mounting bar (tine rake) but I think that that item was about $85. Now that was about three years ago so KLMlawn is probably right. Send some e-mail to JRCO they will post a product package which includes a price list.
Good Luck
BobR