Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2000, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How can these big co's Trugreen, lawn doctor etc. keep selling repeated applications of lime and grub control? Once your Ph level is where it needs to be, everything i have read says it should be fine for 3-5 years? Grub control every year? found an old post on milky spore building up a resistance, to use nematodes instead. Either way i know the're making more money by repeating apps. every year but aren't they blatantly ripping people off?
Old 09-25-2000, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats why they are so big people trust them
But its starting to change people are starting to look at how big they are and not getting that 1 on 1 service they use to get
Old 09-26-2000, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

very true. I stole a truegreen customer today. Even more importantly is that I know where many more are.

Old 09-27-2000, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's why i asked, i got a trugreen customer yesterday, and working on another one, i know i'll get it. This second one also has them monitor and treat her trees and shrubs!!!Ka-ching!$$
Old 09-30-2000, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

The lime applications depend on the type of soil that is present, number of hardwood trees in the lawn, if the leaves are mulched or picked up, how long the leaves are left on the lawn, and if any fertilizer is being used. These things will determine how fast the ph changes. In Tn. our soil is very heavy clay. We will lime in Spring and Fall to keep the ph where it needs to be. Remember, you can't put down too much lime at once since the soil cannot use a heavy application, so repeat applications are better for the soil than one heavy application. Also, of all of the nutrients and additives you put on the soil, lime will leach out faster than the others.

An easy way to solve the problem of does it need it, get a ph tester and keep it in your truck. We sell tons of lime jobs while giving lawn spray applications. Just stick the tester in the soil when you start talking to the prospect, when your done giving the estimate for spraying pull the tester out and "buy the way Ms., the ph of your soil is one point low, it will require X pounds of lime to correct it, would you like to add that while we are here?

Don't sell what they don't need, just take care of the lawn's needs and you will be taken care of.

Greg Pierce, CTP

www.LawnmastersLLPC.com
Old 10-01-2000, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey i took over a property last year that true green had been doing for 5 yrs.took a soil sample an had to put down 1200pounds of lime just to get it up to par!!!!