Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2003, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro 21' Commercial mower is cutting poorly

It is only a year old and runs fine and starts on first pull. Blade is sharp, front tires is set to one notch lower than back tires (i.e. back is 1/4" higher than front). I thought it would get better once past wet grass season but is the same. It leaves uncut grass strands and clumps of grass like it was pushed down and only partially cut off the top.

I'm not sure what is under the big plastic housing under the deck in the middle of the mower but I was thinking about taking that off if it doesn't hurt the mower and see how it cuts. Still has those kickers under the deck. Still has standard blade that came with it.

Any ideas why cutting bad?
Old 06-20-2003, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

same problem w/ commercial 21 snapper

I think its the extremely wet spring, at least for me in the NE. I've had the same problem with my new snapper, especially in the tall wet/damp grass. I know i should mow damp grass but the past month i've had no choice.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot to mention I am mulching the grass and the 1 yard I bag it doesn't leave any stringers or uncut grass.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same problem with my Toro Proline. I bought it in March and it has the Kawasaki engine. I took it back to the dealer and he increased the rpms to 3600 and ever since, it performs much better. I must say that it works way better bagging than mulching but at least when you mulch, it doesn't seem to lose power and it works great.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know how to increase rpms to 3600?
Old 06-21-2003, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

On mine it all depends on the type of grass your cutting, fescue ,ky blue, tall ryes, it always leaves stringers, seems like the tougher grasses mulch just fine, my 4-1/2hp Suzuki has plenty of power it mulches without boggen any, sharp blades but it still leaves alot of uncut grass, now if you go forward then pull it back it cuts awesome........Marks Mowing Service
Old 06-21-2003, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

On mine it all depends on the type of grass your cutting, fescue ,ky blue, tall ryes, it always leaves stringers, seems like the tougher grasses mulch just fine, my 4-1/2hp Suzuki has plenty of power it mulches without boggen any, sharp blades but it still leaves alot of uncut grass, now if you go forward then pull it back it cuts awesome........Marks Mowing Service
Old 06-21-2003, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LSDLS
Does anyone know how to increase rpms to 3600?
It's simple. Somewhere on the carb is a set screw for the low idle speed. This keeps the mower from stalling when the throttle lever is positioned in the turtle speed. Adjust this screw until it pushes the throttle shaft open until you reach the desired rpm. This adjustment will eliminate the use of throttle lever to anything but choke and top end speed but then again what use is idle in a commercial environment. I do not recommend 3600 as it will burn out the engine faster and the ground speed is to fast. 3300 from my experience gets the blades moving faster yet keep the ground speed walkable. You will need a real tach; not a vibra tach. Also on some of the newer carbs the set screw is too short to do this but a quick trip to the hardware store for a longer one foils Toro's attempt to fool proof it.

Grass stringers are usually the cause of attempting to cut/mulch to much height off the turf. As the front wheel pushes the grass down the blade speed is too slow to create sufficient vacum to pull the grass up. Solution is cut less in each pass or cut less off to keep the blade speed up.

I've been using Toro's for over 10 years. Most of my decks are 6 years old some older and don't have any plastic (other than the kickers) under the deck however if Toro has gone to a plastic crankshaft protector (a round plate that fits above the blade that surrounds the crankshaft; do not remove it. This plate keeps some of the debris out that might otherwise cause the belt to jump off the pulley driver but more importantly supports the crankshaft and minimizes wobble.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Poor Cut ?

Are you attempting to 'mulch' the wet heavy stuff?? Sounds like the mower is working fine when you are bagging. I have found that my proline commercial w/suzuki 4.5 hp works great as a bagger or side discharge (I do not mulch). If you are into wet / heavy / long grass I would not attempt to mulch it (will just plug up the underside of your deck. The large plastic item under your deck is the cover for the BBC hardware (leave it in place). One thing you might try is carrying a putty knife in your pocket and cleaning the underside of the deck when cut quality starts to degrade (you will hear the sound the spinning blade makes change when quality is about to go south).
BobR