Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-21-2003, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Need help with my start up planning

I have a question I want to post.

What kind of revenue would I be able to generate if I were to service only lawn care? Ie: mowing, trimming, fertilizing and edging?

Or more diverse business such as, mowing, trimming, edging, fertilizing, mulch deliveries, trim, installation, and removal of small trees, brushes, plants, and also during the fall and winter, gutter cleaning/repair, leaf removal, winter prep for the yard, and pressure wash.

I wanted to know because of the location, I am in Vancouver BC, Canada so its different from the other areas.

I wanted to know as part of my plan I am developing because I realized that the more diverse the business gets, I'd have to pay higher overhead, and higher equipment maintenance. I am planning to own and operate the business on my own with the help of a accountant to handle my fiances.

I know you guys can't give me a define answer because I didn't tell you the cost of fuel, what kind of equipment I have, vehicle and trailer. So, I'd be fine with assumptions and guesses based on your experiences as I will get a defined answer eventually on my own, I just want to have some guidance on where to go at to find the information I need.

Yes, I know I will generate a lot of revenue the more diverse my business could get. I just want to plan it smartly and carefully.

Thank you :blob3:
Old 06-22-2003, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, let me get my crystal ball polished and see.
What you're 'asking' is entirely too hypothetical and way too many variables to come up with an honest or real answer.

How many clients are you going to have?
How much are you going to charge for each aspect of your work?
Are you going to be dedicated to your work.
Are you going to do quality work.
Do you have a license to do applications?
Are you going to run an honest, tax paying, licensed, insured business, or take what you can get in your pocket and spend it this weekend?
How long is it going to take to build your client list?
You going to keep your clients happy, or are you going to lose half of them in a months time?
What is your particular areas competition like?

I've just scratched the surface.

How much can you make?
How hard are you willing to work?
How hungry are you?

Dedication, sweat, and quality, will determine what you can make.

First year, squat, baloney sandwiches, beans, spaghetti.
Second year, a little breathing room, add cheese to your sandwiches maybe meatballs to your pasta.
Third year, it's up to you . . . . . . .
Old 06-22-2003, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

My 2 Cents

When I devised my business plan, most of the forecasted numbers were hypothetical based on my competitions price scales. It is true the more diversied your services, the more revenue available. I highly recommend focusing on other revenue streams once you establish your core set of services.

If you plan to mow, edge, fertilize, etc.... Than make it your core services and provide the quality work expected.

Then, add to your services with your base set of clients. Services such as Mulching, Landscapes, Aeration, etc..... You can also advertise other services to potential clients however your marketing efforts could differentiate from my own.

Be Realistic. Revenue Streams take time to generate. Take a lot of a little in order to keep money coming in the door. Extensive research via phone calls to your competitors is definately an ideal situation. Find out what they are doing, how they market, services they offer etc.... (Pretend to be a business student). Find out how they built the business and adjust your plan to do it better....

Good Luck.

JG
Old 06-23-2003, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: My 2 Cents

Quote:
Originally posted by gilllawnservice
I highly recommend focusing on other revenue streams once you establish your core set of services.

If you plan to mow, edge, fertilize, etc.... Than make it your core services and provide the quality work expected.

Then, add to your services with your base set of clients. Services such as Mulching, Landscapes, Aeration, etc
JG
Truer words have never been spoken. Don't try to do too much too soon. You'll only make yourself look hungry and deseparate. I've seen flyers where, literally, the LCO that wrote the flyer listed every possible service known man. One flyer listed: "painting, roofing, remodeling, landscapes, aeration, lawncare, water scapes, pet sitting, pressure washing, driveway sealing, fences, decks, garages built, window cleaning, maid service......" You get the idea.

Mowing is not a high margin profit center for most LCOs. But it does have several really neat things going for it.

#1. You only have to sell the customer one time whereas a mulch or aeration job will need to be sold and then sold again to the next customer. Only after several seasons will repeat business start appearing on a regular enough basis but mowing repeats again and again all in the same season.

#2. Mowing gets you in the door and you get to establish a relationship with the customer that then gives you a spring board to the other jobs. And it's a very easy sell. Once the customer gets to know and trust you, the other jobs become easier to sell also.

#3. Once you get a regular group of customers lined up, you know that each year will at least give you a minimum amount of income that you know you'll get. It's really nice to know that as long as you're able to get out there and do the work, you'll make "x" amount of dollars by the end of the year. How many other service industries can make that claim. I worked for years banging in hardwood floors before I got into lawncare. There was never a time when I could see work ahead of me for more than about 2 months and many times, not even that. Many times I would finish one floor and have nothing else lined up. Not so with lawncare.

If you keep your expenses down, mowing can be a pretty good money tree. You just have to shake the dickens out of it.

Last edited by The Mowerdude; 06-23-2003 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't think revenue. Think PROFIT!
Old 06-25-2003, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Pet sitting?? Maid services?? What does these has to do with lawn care lmfao. I am so not going to wear a apron mowing yards, certainly not something you want your customers to see unless he/she happens to be a pita and you want to drop em.

Thanks for your info. I am not planning on starting out fast because I know businesses tend to go under and that is something Im sure no one wants to happen.

I am merely concerned because I'd have to pay off the normal costs to start up the business AND run it at the same time. I want to have a really honest and straight up business for the customers.

:blob3:
Old 06-29-2003, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Member

All they are saying is that there are way to many varibles to consider to say you can make X amount of money. How many lawns per day/ days per week. what retention ratio, what profit margin. Will you even make a profit? Do you know your actual cost? If you do then you can do some projections. If you dont....well you better figure them out.
Texas Bragg Trailer
2002 Walker 26 EFI
2003 Snapper 61inch WB
Gravely 36 inch WB
Snapper 21 inch
Stihl power Equip