Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-26-2003, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Is It to late to start in late June?

Hey i was wondering what you guys think about starting in late June? I just posted flyers up and made some business cards last week and i still haven't got any calls. What other ways could i get calls? i made over 50 flyers and 250 business cards so what else could i do? I live in Arcanum,Ohio just north of Dayton does it take a while to start having calls in the middle of mowing season? and i am going to be having some ads running in 3 local papers this weekend so i am hoping that will bring in some calls.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Make about 3000 more flyers, to start with. Hand them out yourself, talking with people when you can. Let all of your friends, neighbors, family, etc. know and ask them to refer you also. Check with realtors, and ask to leave some flyers with them. Do great work.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's never too late. You probably won't grow super fast because of the late start, but if you do quality work, and charge a fair price, you will get work. I started in mid May and sent out 2 mass e-mails to a local college and have landed 12 weekly accounts, and about 5 minor landscaping jobs. I actually just started really advertising this week because I haven't had time until now.
You probably won't be able to be full time until next year, but get geared up for fall cleanups, and let people know that you will be here next year, then hit it real hard early this spring.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

No, it's really never too late. It may be a little harder to obtain clients now than in the Spring, but it is still highly possible. I have gotten 8 new accounts in the past 2 1/2 weeks because guys have been screwing up.

As stated above, you definitely need to put out a lot more fliers if you are going that route. I have done a lot of research in this area and contrary to popular belief, most of the marketing experts I have consulted say statistically, dropped fliers and mass mailings don't yield a whole lot. It's only about a 6% return rate. A lot of people just consider this (fliers, etc...) junk mail and pitch it in the trash. You DEFINITELY need to do face to face networking. Talk to all of your neighbors, family members and friends. Ask them to give you a chance. Hit up everyone you can think of and know personally. Someone is bound to be getting their grass cut or wanting to get their grass cut, that you know. Do really good work; even if you only have 1 yard. You'd be surprised how fast 1 yard will pan out into many more. If your "QUALITY" of service is high (not just grass cutting skills) it will pay off for you in the end. Work on your ability to communicate with the customer. If you're asking them how their day is or addressing any needs on their lawn, good personal communication skills are important.

Good Luck. Let us know how you made out.

Marshall

(Read this with upper teeth over bottom lip)...yall, weez don't do no WEED WACKIN.
(Now pull teeth back in)... "WE STRING TRIM"

http://www.fdnyengine6.org

My Photo Page
Old 06-28-2003, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

hey hows it going all? i made some more flyers and my 2 ads are going to be running one sunday and one some other day next week so far i got one call this morning to a house. me and my girlfriend went its a 3/4 acre yard front and back. We looked it over and we figured for are different packages we got it would be like this $25 for just lawn mowing, $32 for mowing and trimming, and $40 + for mowing,trimming,and full yard clean removing grass clippings and some tree branchs ect What do you guys think about the PRICING? to low? to high? or somewhere in the middle? Around here Pricing starts at about $15 and up Whats the pricing like where you guys are from?
Old 06-29-2003, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Your prices seem a little low.,,, Do you know your costs yet? If you don't ........you better figure them out.....
Texas Bragg Trailer
2002 Walker 26 EFI
2003 Snapper 61inch WB
Gravely 36 inch WB
Snapper 21 inch
Stihl power Equip
Old 06-29-2003, 03:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Something you may want to think about is just telling the customers that your services include mowing, trimming, and cleanup, that way you don't have to tell them 5 different options and five different prices...just an idea!
I would mow, trim, and cleanup a 3/4 acre lawn for between $35-$45...depending on how long I think it would take. I have to bid pretty low in my area because there's a lot of lco's. Many people here on Lawnsite say that you should try to get $1 per minute...I usually can't get that because of the area I'm in, but it's a good goal to shoot for.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I just started about a month ago, and i put up about 50 flyers on doors in an upscale neighborhood. Within 3 or 4 days, I had 2 residential accounts, and 1 commercial one.
The residential properties are about 1/4 acre, and they happily pay $35-40/ cut.

Look for rich folk.
Craftsman Blower
Weed Eater Blower
1986 Ford F-150
3x8 Trailer
Old 06-29-2003, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

like others have said, it's not too late, but you'll have to work hard to find them as most people already have their LCO for the season. Try going around on saturdays when Harry Homeowner is outside doing his lawn and its 90F. Kindly offer to rid him of his chore.