Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-25-2000, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you guys take extra clothes to change into when you sweat and your shirts are soggy wet? What kind of shirts or Tees do you recommend?<p><br> <br> <br> <br><p>----------<br>Johnny Jay<br>
Old 06-25-2000, 11:09 PM
bill phagan

I remember those days of heavy duty sweat and my stinky self. Headbands, hats, nothing controlled it.....and did I stink! If I'd put an Odor Eater in my shoe, I would've disappeared! I would wear the most profession, lightest and lightest color shirts I could find and keep them on for cooling agent. Three or four per day may get you through.
Old 06-26-2000, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

johnnyjim and all others--&quot;the question is how do you handle sweat?&quot;<p>the answer is --&quot;very well, thank you!&quot;<p>now to the point. I love the summer heat. the hotter the better, which is easy for me to say in TENNESSEE! I'd probably sing a different song in ALA, GA, FLA, LA etc. but I live in TN and I live year round for the heat of summer. in other words I freeze my crappin rear end off in winter.<p>how do I deal with looking presentable after, or during the mowing day? I don't. If I call on a client and I'm soaked (ransid) so what. If I've got a meeting with a contract person or purchasing agent, I set it up for the first of the day or a day that I don't mow. that is, if I think no ball cap and sweaty shirt will make a difference in getting the job.<p>otherwise, I shower twice a day, mabe three if I have a date with my lovely spouse to go out on the town.<p>in the heat of the day...no appologies needed for a man that looks like he's been working (assuming you aren't stuck in a elevator with him and he's taken care of the B O pitts).<p>by the way, I'll get flamed for this...but I think changing into a clean dry shirt while you are nasty as s--t from sweat in the middle of the day, is nastier than staying in your old dirty, sweaty work shirt. just my opinion!<p>good luck,<p>GEO
Old 06-26-2000, 02:11 AM
Senior Moderator

<br>Couldn't agree with you more Geo. I couldn't imagine changing into a clean shirt in the middle of the day. What for? The sticky sweaty feeling is still on ya anyway.<br>Plus I have enough laundry to do without adding more.<p>I never thought I would be able to handle this type of work. <br>I work with my husband, and I have always been the type to always have my hair and make-up just so. Fingernails painted, the whole nine yards.<p>But I think I have adapted pretty well to being yucky all day. <p>My husband always teases me. He says I must not be normal because he never sees me sweat. My shirts never get wet. But I still feel sticky.<p>Of course, I do my best not to go into any public places when I'm working. He buys the gas, goes into the convenience stores, etc.<p>And I never appreciated a shower more than I do now.<p>All estimates we do when we are clean. Early morning, or after we shower in the evening. We have polo shirts with our <br>company logo on them that we wear for estimates. It's always good to make a first impression.<p>
Old 06-26-2000, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my line of work I seldom have contact with<br>my customers and I usually work alone,so if I<br>stink,then too bad.When I was in the Army we<br>would be out in the bush and not wash for 2-3<br>weeks.After a while you can smell a clean <br>person a mile off,just from the soap.Everyone<br>else stunk as well so noone noticed.<p>Karl<br>
Old 06-26-2000, 10:01 AM

Hello Everybody:<p>LOL, we just stunk worst than dogs & put up with it!<p>When your working day in & day out in this Georgia, heat & humidity, a shirt wet with sweat is welcomed. It helps cool you off, remember those little breezes that would just about give ya chills.<p>For some strange reason, it seemed my sweat band stunk the worst. I would continusly keep it rung out & was all the time soaking it in water, trying to keep it cleaned out to no satisfaction.<p>I would do the same with my shirt. I would never put on a dry clean shirt, unless my shirt was just filthy. If I did put one on, I would usually go ahead & wet it, before putting it on.<p>Also a little of topic for this thread, but if your real hot, you really put a strain on your body by running that A/C in your truck going job to job. You are better off just rolling down the windows.<p>I learned the hard way because I had a real bad heat stroke & Doctor said what contributed to it the most was getting in & out of that air conditioned truck.<p>Drastic temperature changes can put a real strain on the body. When I worked outside I really never noticed how hot it was until going into house or getting in to truck with A/C on then going right back outside. That's when the heat really got to me.<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 06-26-2000, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

grassmaster is right about the AC. I never use the AC in the truck while I'm working. NEVER!<p>I remember the stories about bobby allison riding around in hueytown, al in the summer with the windows rolled up and the heater turned as high as it would go!<p>GEO
Old 06-26-2000, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

::My husband always teases me. He says I must not be normal because he never sees me sweat.::<p>Women don't sweat, they perspire. <p>Your words have moved me (Major Tom, is it? ), as my wife and I have been discussing the possibility of her becoming my much-needed assistant in the field should things come apart at her current job. She wonders if she can 'handle it', but I think we both know deep down she can. Plus, we make a great team!<p>As for the sweat issue, I side with ol' geo on this one: I love the heat! Although I don't live in a climate where we get a lot of really hot or really cold days, I still live for those 100 degree days in the heart of the summer when I get *really* sweaty and *really* dirty. I just feel like I'm really trying when I'm really sweating. <p>I never change shirts (unless going from a full shirt to a tank top to work on my tan ), and never really thought about bidding in a 'prettier' state. I figure the customers know that I work, right?<p>The A/C issue is very interesting, though. I tend to use the A/C a lot on hot days, because I really get uncomfortable when I have to be *out of* the sun (sitting in the truck, et. al.) and it cools me down on the way to the next job. I'll definitely stop doing so now, for health reasons. <p>Thanks, Grass Master, for the tip!<p>-TGC
Old 06-26-2000, 02:08 PM

Hello Everybody:<p>A few more things:<p>Gatorade is good but I had Doctor say that much over a Quart a day is bad for you, because of the high levels of Sodium & Potassium. <p>If overheated don't go jump in a pool, you need to slowly cool down. The Editor of our newspaper had been doing yardwork all morning long, was very overheated & jumped in & it killed him.<p>Teenager was praticing football at school, was very overheated, jumped in cold shower, killed him also.<p>Water & not real cold either is best. Got to have something else to drink then get some kind of real juice.<p>Wear plenty of clothes, to protect you from sun. Protect you from skin cancer, later on down the road & to keep ya cool.<p>The suns rays when directly shining on you is a lot hoter than if you have clothing on.<p>I found out after heat stroke, that me wearing tennis shoes made my feet very hot. <p>I never wore them much. I mainly wore steel toed boots, because I was always walking up to other guys on mowers. It saved my feet several times.<p>Straw hats do make your head sweat & when your head is wet from sweat it helps you stay cool.<p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 06-26-2000, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Hiya TGC,<p>Actually our names are Matt and Jodi.<br>..<p>I'm sure your wife will be able to handle it.<br>If I can, anyone can...lol<p><br>One thing to remember if you guys decide to work together. If she is going to be out in the sun all day, have her wear a hat. Her hair will take a beating especially if it is long and she colors her hair. And she'll need to condition it often.<p>Major Tom's wife <br>