Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2000, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Planned to go from my 48" WB to a 52" ZTR (Toro or Exmark) come spring. But, in past posts, some of you recommended to go right to a 60, to really be productive. I'm certainly all for making more money, but my concern still is,uneven cuts and more prone to scalping on the type of lawns I do. My lawns are generally 8000 - 15000 SF, with some slopes and uneven ground.
Can any 60" ZTR users comment on my concerns? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2000, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once you know your properties and equipment, you will not scalp.
Old 09-26-2000, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 60"Dixie Chopper,and had a 50" Dixie for a month.I can tell you that the 50 is very good on uneven terrian,never leaves steps from one pass to the next.It is also very scarey on side hills and slid down them easy.The 60"holds hills very good for a ZTR,and the 10" of cut makes it much faster than you would think 10" would.When mowing small areas or really uneven terrain,you need to position the deck in the right spot or it might start to dig a little on the end or scalp,but it really takes a big knoll to make it do that.I would go for the 60 if i had to do it again.I do my inlaws lawn,its a little 6000 sq ft lawn,no problems once you are good with machine,so long as you go gentle in the turns.If you can,get the dealer to let you try both,take them to the lawns that you think the 60 will have problems on,then go do a bigger lawn and make note of the time saved at the job.The 60" mower is the best all around size IMO,Ive tried 72",and they are a little tricky and leave a big step from pass to pass on uneven ground.I think a 60 will do most any lawn that itll get thru the gate or opening to,if it wont-dont take the account,then if you are insured properly,you can go after commercial propertys that require a 60" or larger to get the job done.I know the 60"ZTR will double your productivity on large lawns compared the 48'wb you have now.