Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2003, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out my flyer

I've handed out 150 of them only got one call. Lady said i was to expensive when I met her to price it though. 35.00 for a 4,000 sq ft hill

Let the critics become wolves, realy what do you think? I'm thinking needs spiced up, more professional. Friend threw it together doesn't realy want to edit or mess with it any more though. Lay into it so I can decide which way to go. Change it or hang some more.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf grassflyer.pdf (147.8 KB, 1337 views)

It's no longer a dream, it's a reality!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

If i got that flyer i would personally call you up just to yell at you. Graphically, i really lke it, but your content kind of made me want to strangle you.

a) why would i want a cheap service?.. i read that and i felt like i was getting what i was going to pay for.. something cheap..
b)elderly... do they want to be reminded that they are too old to cut the lawn?.. most of them i find struggle with this and really never want to stop but are forced to, don't remind them
c) #3 sounds like you were just looking for filler
d) #1 is more filler
e) take on a company name and say we instead of me..

Also.. I would say 5 reasons to hire a lawn service.. give the reasons then have your company name on it.. i think its a less direct in your face approach.

And last thing, most people have their services for the year, so don't expect to much more. My two sense, just a little criticsm for your benefit

Sam
Old 06-24-2003, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, if you had done some searching here you would have found out that most flyers only get around a 1-3% call back.

Second, coming from an advertising/graphics design background I think it looks cheesy and unprofessional. Remember, you are advertising your company. If it looks like a professional flyer that is the image that will follow to your company in their minds, and the same with if it looks unprofessional.

Sell your company not some one liners.

Redesign it and try again.

I too think $35 for 4k is high. Sounds like a $25-$30 min range.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Eye appeal = I really find it almost attractive.
It has a type of art nouveau about it.

Script= Is it meant to be jive?
Don't care for it one bit.
Each line is an insult unto itself.
Free this, free that.
You never say why anyone should really hire you. Even if you use the word professional or quality, the rest of the verbiage drowns that out completely.

Granny? It may be normal for someone to be called that by a grandchild, but it is very insulting in the ad.

Recap= I'd keep the looks, lose current wording. Whatever you do say, (5 reasons, or else) make it professional and it must have substance.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Too , not to. If you're going to insult people, you may as well spell correctly.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

one more thing, 150 flyers??? I made 2500 this summer and passed them out, you can't really expect to get some call on 150 flyers can you?
Old 06-25-2003, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Rustic Goat...it has an odd sort of appeal to it-visually. It definitely is unique and catches the eye, but the content?.?.?.?.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I just started this year, too. Good luck.

I agree that you don't need to say "cheap". If someone needs thier grass cut, they already know why, and it is good timing if your flyer is on their door with a phone number. I just used friendly fonts and a friendly graphic. I just stated that I cut grass, do clean ups, trimming, etc., and to call me for and estimate, ~ thank you ~.

When people mention high or questionable rates, I say, "Yeah, the commercial equipment is a little expensive to pay off, but it's very reliable and the cut looks great."

I put out 1,000 door hangers, and I got my schedule booked for part-time grass cutting (approx. $500/week), with emphasis on reliability and my willingness to help out with some extra odd jobs. I've made extra money on clean ups, mulch, top soil, and landscaping. I don't know why they hire me, I tell them I have limited experience but I have a lot of new equipment to pay off, and I appreciate thier business.

I asked my clients what are the things they are looking for in a lawn service, and most emphasized reliable serice and clear billing. Rates are mentioned, but I never go lower than the last guy.

All your answers are here on lawnsite, good luck.

Mike
Old 06-25-2003, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I struggle to find words to describe the flyer.... how about what everyone else said times 10.... and your price seems excessive but then again there may be circumstances that I am not aware of.... but how long will it take you to cut 4000 sf.... 10 minutes?
Old 06-25-2003, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

CRAZYGATOR

Quote:
First of all, if you had done some searching here you would have found out that most flyers only get around a 1-3% call back.
lildog

Quote:
one more thing, 150 flyers??? I made 2500 this summer and passed them out, you can't really expect to get some call on 150 flyers can you?
Two birds with one stone. I never said I expected anything more than 1-3% I told you my response incase anyone wanted to know.

To all others,

Big Issue over content, I realize that. I stated friend threw it together (I had no say in the content, but chose to use it) and doesn't realy want to edit it. I needed something fast he gave it to me, so I used it. I agree with the majority here, content needs changed. I'll not hand out another till I get it fixed.

It's no longer a dream, it's a reality!