Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2003, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Radio Advertising

Anyone ever advertise on the radio?? I ask because I just acquired a new account at a local radio station and the manager has offered to trade service for radio advertising. $200 advertising for every $100 service. I would like to advertise for Fall cleanup, dethatching and aeration services. Is this a good way to go??

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2003, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much does that add up to in a months time, you figuring four weeks, and $800. in ads? Do you know the quantity of air time that equals?

Are you a really big operator, one who can afford to be paid with the barter system instead of real $ ?

Do you have enough crews to cover the same area that the radio station does?

Are you going to be able to specify at what times your ads will air, their content and length?

Answer those and you have just answered you own question.

BTW, it's still a bargain for the station manager, it will only cost him very little air time.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't gotten into airtime prices, etc. I didn't committ to doing the advertising right away, but I'm mulling it over. The trade won't hurt in terms of $$. And I'm not looking to pull in thousands of new customers off the ads. That's why I'm asking how effective it has been for others. I was contemplating other advertising this fall, direct mail and/or newspaper fliers. Doing this would be cheaper, I just wonder how well it will work. I don't want it to work too well, and probably wouldn't run the commercials that much. It's an AM talk station, and mostly pulls older folks as their audience.

Old 06-29-2003, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we do a radio station right now and they offered the same thing. Its not a big time radio station, but I am thinking about it as well. But first what I am going to do is do some research at the amount of listening audiences, what the income, and age group is like, etc.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure if this would equate in the lawn care industry. However I read an article about a small company that installs ponds, they started radio advertising (against the advice of their peers) and if I remember correctly their business has grown like 500% over the last couple of years. I will try and find the article.

You might want to talk to the station owner about trading half of the work for advertising and get paid for the other half. That way you should be able to at least recover any expenses that you would have, at that point what have you got to lose?

I would also make it understood that if you change your mind you don't lose the work.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am most certainly not looking to grow 500%, just want some more work in the fall and need an effective manner of advertising. I will have to seriously think about this. I don't want overkill. But I've always got extra time in the fall for clean ups and extras and would like to fill that up with work. Newspaper and flier advertising in the past has been rather ineffective.

The station is more than willing to pay $$ for the work. They have never had a lawn company, they always had a certain employee do it and he's no longer there, or something. I did it today, and the trimming hadn't been done in a while (if ever!). It's only going to take me maybe 30 min by myself to do, so even if I trade all my work for advertising it's not costing me $1000s. Not to mention the guy that owns it is a pretty established fellow in the community, and it never hurts to network with and smooze the well-known.

I guess like everything else, you gotta try it to find out, eh?

Old 07-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Banned

The local radio station gave me the same offer. However i knew the type of people who mainly listened to it so i figured it wasnt really worth my time and esp my money.