Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2003, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

bent grass - frequency of fertilization

Curious to know how frequently I should apply fertilizer to a patio of bent-gress. I have a good stand of grass but don't want to burn it out. Penncross bent-grass was the choice I went with. I'm located near Richmond VA with a typical hot and humid summer just beginning. Last year the patio turned dormant due to the drought we've been experiencing the past few years in this area. Not the case so far this year. I have heard that Ironite might be a good choice during these hot months, although I'll have to water frequently, which won't be a problem.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:40 PM

For shorter cut bentgrass like putting greens, you will want a
"greens grade" fertilizer. The granules are smaller than regular turn fertilizer and release a little bit slower. If it's taller, say 1-1.5" or so, then you may use a regular fertilizer. I fertilize greens every 4 to 5 weeks, split applications.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pencross is a fairly hardy variety of bentgrass.
Presumably, this turf is used in between stones, it is not the patio itself? This being the case, use water soluable fertilizer in a hand held sprayer and apply foliarly once every month at rates equivalent to .5 lbs/1000ft squared.
If the patio is the bentgrass - I would still foliarly apply the fertilizer yet obtain a micronutrient (contains manganese, boron, zinc, chlorine, copper, among others) package that is also water soluable and spray that as well.
Avoid watering at night - if at all possible, water very little, and when you do water heavily, it should be just around day break.
Resist heavy watering during the day.
If you want to help ease high temperature stresses on your bentgrass, a simple syringe with the hose - a quick spritz, no actual accumulation of water in the soil, and you will help thge turf get through the day.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
I don't think you will have good sucess in this situation!

How often, and how much depends on many factors!!!!!!!
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 07-11-2003, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all of your input. So far we're doing good. The heat is just starting to kick in. I've tried what you suggested SWD and the grass has resonded well. The trick now is to stay on top of it. I'll get a picture posted soon. The patio near a lake front is slate with the bentgrass planted in-between.