Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2003, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Discount for signing up for services?

This fall when I put out fliers and an ad in the newspaper, I was thinking about putting that if you sign up for services next year that you get a free leaf clean-up? If that would work, I would require a down payment just so no one rips me off. The down payment would be equal to what the clean-up would be.

How does that sound?
Old 07-02-2003, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I never 'offer' anything free!
Your down payment idea means you'd have something else to keep track of, personally, don't like doing anything that means it makes me keep track of yet another 'thing'.

If you want to offer an enticement, what about a discount for prepaid service?

Your free leaf clean up means you're going to be doing a lot of work within a certain time period, and putting NO money in your pocket doesn't it? Your just swapping money from one hand to the other with this down payment thing, not bringing in MORE revenue.

Are you thinking this way in an effort to gain more clients, or to retain the ones you already have?
There are better ways of doing both, IMO.

Other thing, have you done newspaper promotions before? Remember, advertising that way may bring you potential clients from the four corners of wherever the newspaper is delivered to, if you get a response from that type of ad. Never had any luck with newspaper ads!
Good luck though.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep sounds stupid to me too!

Instead of offering them something they need for free, how about offering them something they may need but arent aware of at a discounted price. Instead of giving away leaf cleanup, offer them aeration at a discount so now they are paying you to do an additional add on service that they may not have bought without the offer. And always remember, those people that are looking for somethign for nothing are the same ones that will want things at the lowest prices.

And if you use a newspaper, you better fill up the truck cause you may find yourself running all over town to give estimates rather then just areas you already service.

CMerrick
Old 07-02-2003, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rustic Goat

If you want to offer an enticement, what about a discount for prepaid service?
This is what I do, 10% off for prepaying the season. I also have a package program, like a value meal, which adds in mowing and leaf cleanup and edging (or other services) together with a discount, and I bill in equal monthly payments. Check out my website under the "service plans" page to see my discount programs.

If you want to get people who ask for fall leaf cleanups this year as regular customers next year, then offer a free or discounted cleanup at the end of next season, maybe.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I offer 5% off for agreements paid yearly in advance. I have a couple of clients who take advantage of this offer.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I offer 10% off their first months bill for the next season when they renew their contract...a lot of times the first months bill is pruning, so I am actually hardly losing anything at all.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

On my door hangers I offered a free winterizer application after a full year mowing service. I can do this at the time of my last mow or after a leaf clean-up. It takes very little time and money.

MATT

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci