Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2003, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Personal Pace Mowers Cable Snapping??

To the people running Toro Personal Pace mowers, Are your cables constantly snapping.....Bought one last year because I was sick of paying $1100 for the commercial 21" but I have blown through about 4 cables in one year.....They seem cheaply made, and maybe for a reason!!
Old 07-01-2003, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup!!!
I have the personal pace and the cable don't last very long till it breaks. I think they are made cheap for a reason.
I don't use it much because I dumped two accounts that insisted I use a 21 inch, and the others, well I use my tthp 48 inch and they are really liking the stripes.
Thats a funny story.
I was using the walkbehind on the properties, and one of the condo owners comes out and tells me that the mower is too big to do the lawn. I told him in a real businesslike way that my 21 inch was broken and I would be using the walkbehind until it was fixed. That was 3 months ago. They like the way the walkbehind stripes, the lawn is never torn up, so we both are happier..
Old 07-02-2003, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Constantly Snapping??

Not constantly, but yes, I've had 2 cables break since April of 2002. Blade kill cable broke last fall, and the traction cable broke last week. But then again, I don't use my Personal Pace that much. Maybe 5 hrs/week. I'm slowly, but surely phasing out my 21" mower.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bought a Toro PP saturday......Thanks alot...
Old 07-02-2003, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by o-so-n-so
Just bought a Toro PP saturday......Thanks alot...
The pp is a good mower, mulches great, bags great, just uses cables. I like mine and probablly get another, but the little use it gets now, it will last a long time, cept for the cables...
Old 07-02-2003, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the time when a cable for traction or engagement cable breaks so fast is the fact that its adjusted to tight. You want to :
install it correctly
keep the adjustment as loose as possible.
check if cable is kinked, no sharp angles

I went thru a lot of cables until my mechanic told me to follow these rules. Can't say I haven't broken cables, but at least they last me a month now.

John
Old 07-02-2003, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Cables breaking

The Toro Personal Pace system was designed for homeowner use, not the every day use a professional contractor does. There are many Heavy Duty ProLine self propelled models available powered by Kawasaki, Honda & Suzuki.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Homeowner use?

So what if the homeowner has a huge yard, and that huge yard is equivalent or more than the few small lawns I use it on.....Simply stated JUNK IS JUNK! What is the useful life out of a homeowner's mower then...One Year??? NOT
Old 07-03-2003, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Homeowner use?

Quote:
Originally posted by PetalsandPines
So what if the homeowner has a huge yard, and that huge yard is equivalent or more than the few small lawns I use it on.....Simply stated JUNK IS JUNK! What is the useful life out of a homeowner's mower then...One Year??? NOT
A do it yourself homeowner on the average mows the lawn 26X. Now multiply that with ten yards or twenty a week and all of a sudden your PP mower is sustaining a years worth of work every 2 weeks for 10 lawns a week or one year for twenty lawns a week. At that rate the mower will sustain the equivalent of 13 years of use or 26 years of use during the first year. Your PP was not designed for that amount of use. That's why it does not cost $1100.00. You get what you pay for. My Pro Line mowers see the equivalent of 2 years of use every week. R&M records for over 5 years reflect one cable breaking per mower per year. Anything more than that reflect an improper installation/cable adjustment. Is your mower junk? In a residential useage environement - absoultely not. A residential user that buys one cable per year will not kick about the expense. If your cable breaks once every 4-6 weeks doing ten lawns a week then I would say you had probably reached or exceeded the useful life of that cable. Buying true commercial equipment is more expensive upfront but less expensive in the long run either in few repairs and or headaches.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster
Most of the time when a cable for traction or engagement cable breaks so fast is the fact that its adjusted to tight. You want to :
install it correctly
keep the adjustment as loose as possible.
check if cable is kinked, no sharp angles

I went thru a lot of cables until my mechanic told me to follow these rules. Can't say I haven't broken cables, but at least they last me a month now.

John

Would you be kind enough tell me where I can adjust the traction cable? I have looked everywhere and I don't see and way to adjust it. As it is now my cable is too loose to engage the drive.

Thanks in advance for any tips