Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2003, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

New here & in the business....advice welcome!!

Hi! We are starting a lawncare/maintenance business by the end of August. We have planned to start part-time (we both have other employment). We will do the work ourselves to get everything going, then we plan on hiring a friend of ours to take over. He has his business license so we are going to contract with him instead of hiring him on as an employee.

Any help on how to get the word out on the new business? How did most of you get new clients? We would welcome any advice. We want this to be a side business while we still keep our other jobs, though I will be doing the books since I work part-time. We have a lot of upscale neighborhoods in our city (and their lawns/yards are in some dire need of help!).

Thanks for your comments - they are greatly appreciated!

Kirstie & Jeremiah
Old 07-07-2003, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I would recommend the 20 templates from lawn care success. Sean seems to be very helpful. Just go around your area, take down some address where you thing they could really use your service, and send them a requesting bid, or new clients template. It worked for me.

P.S. Busy streets help to get your name out there
Old 07-10-2003, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For what it's worth, here's a post of mine from back in March this year:

"I'm new in this business too, so for about a month or more I read the lawnsite posts (new & archived). I've also been talking to a couple of local LCOs for a long time to get a feel, plus listened to perspective from just about everybody that gave it. After all of that I decided to:

(1) Buy a modest yellow pages ad although some would argue it is not a good idea;
(2) Had door hangers printed (3 per page at my local printer - they come with the little perforated cut in the corner & door handle hole at the top);
(3) Had business cards printed, of course;
(4) I'm on the phone calling everyone I know to let them know about my service;
(5) Obtained my pesticide license right off the bat so I can offer a more complete service;
(6) Got a small order of embroidered hats and short sleeve polo shirts (small orders can be had in the winter only in my area, in the spring/summer when business picks up they have minimums of 5 dozen & up);
(7) Doing some direct mail to new owners of property whose names came from the local Register of Deeds office.

We'll see how it goes. My whole thing lifts off next week, although I may be a little late in the game this year for landing commercial accounts. I had no control over that.

I put as much time into the "paper" end of things as I could this winter while I waited on the majority of my funds to become available.

Also, just read a great thread about "Blackburn Signs" which is a lawnsite.com sponsor! Everyone with a huge thumbs up. Those guys put out the yard signs you can leave with your Co. name on it. I may go with a few of those. They're affordable and professional looking.

Advertising-wise, I didn't want to wait two or three years to find out what works in my area. I think this way I get a good cross section in year #1 & go from there."
Old 07-11-2003, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you haven't already done so, read this entire forum, every post, every thread.
OR
Do searches using every search word you can think of.
There are a LOT of answers here.
Then post some specific questions.
Get a really good seasoned CPA, run some of your business concepts by him/her.
Best wishes in your venture