Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-07-2003, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

WHAT is the worst ACCIDENT you have had? Tell tell!!!

About 1 1/2 years ago, I was backing my Exmark 48" w/b off the trailor. Cranked it up, put in my earphones and ....... well, I couldn't really hear anything (that's my excuse), but wasn't paying attention. I held the left brake to do a 180 and head towards the driveway to start. As I was turning, a lawn spraying truck was flying down the street!!! WHAM!!!!

My wheel support slammed into the metal ladder on the side of the truck and whipped me back around facing the trailor!! hahahaha well, I wasn't laughing at the time. My wheel support (10 gauge pipe) was completely ripped off. That was the only damage ($70). Didn't even hurt the truck. I was ok, just got thrown off the sulky onto my feet.

I was all shook up after it, but now I laugh about it and it's a really FUNNY story to tell at a bar. I GOT IN AN ACCIDENT WITH A TRUCK; ON MY LAWNMOWER!

I want to hear some of your stories. C'mon!
Old 07-08-2003, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Crossing an intersection and a woman in an Accura hit me broad side doing about 55mph. Through my truck about 15 ft, but luckily I wasn't pulling a trailer. Tore my rotator cuff though, $28,000 surgery and four month off!!

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison
Old 07-10-2003, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive never had a really bad accident compared to any of the ones Ive heard of but Id have to say my worst was breaking a guys landscape lighting with my weedwacker.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Worst so far: I hit a gas meter with my Ferris 32" Hydro and it was really spewing out natural gas. Had to call the gas company out to repair it immediately.

Cost to me: $0.00.

I'm really interested in seeing this thread. So many folks carrying $1m insurance policies in addition to workman's comp. From what I've heard talking to others and from reading on LawnSite, there just isn't much reason for that amount of coverage.

I've spoken personally with 4 or 5 others in the industry. One guy had been in business for 20 years and had zero damages. One employee broke an ankle once during that 20 year span, but that's different insurance all together (workman's comp). The other guys I spoke with all had zero damages too.

I'm definitely interested in hearing horror stories.

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 07-13-2003, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Forman cut his hand shapening blades. Thumb didn't work anymore. Had to take a tenden from his index finger and attach to his thumb. Lost 6 months work 3 surgerys but finally he has the use of his thumb. Did not follow policy of wearing gloves when sharpening blades. One time he got in a hurry and didn't follow saftey procedures and it almost cost him the use of his thumb. No one breaks sagty rules around him anymore. Its a shame it takes something like this to make people realize how important saftey is.
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 10-01-2003, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Had some catch the blade on the trim mower. Whip out and take a chip off my shin bone. Nice compound fracture. Turns out that I think it was these tube things that the guy had put next to the plants to feed the roots. It had some nice chops in it when I managed to get off the cruches and go take a look anyway.

Steve
Old 10-01-2003, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Meier the way my insurance agent explained it to me was the million dollar policy is more for if you hit someone with a flying object and they get really injured or atleast sue you for a lot, but your right I have broken windows, one of my guys hit a car with the mower, dings on side of cars and the total for all those damages were less than $3,000.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the worst thing for the business happened to one of my employees, almost cut off his arm with a chainsaw
Old 10-02-2003, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I had a partner, I ran a Walker, and used it on very small lawn next to the sidewalk. the grass was wet , I lost control, and got my fingers stuck between the 2 levers at the same time. and ended up backing the Walker into the rear fender of his new truck. He never did have that fixed. LOL
12x6.5 Open trailer
Exmark TTHP 48" (for sale)
48" Wrigth RH Stander 19hp
Walker 25hp 42" GHS
Honda HRC216
25" Trimmer Mower w/Honda 5.5
Shindaiwa EB-500
Shindaiwa EB-630
RedMax BCZ2400S trimmer
2 Shindaiwa T-230
Shindaiwa T-230/w hedge trimmers

Have you hugged your mower today?
Old 10-02-2003, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I mow a large cemetary and i quess one morning i wasnt really awake yet, and I hit a small hole or something and my walk behind caught a head stone and about threw me over the handle bars, had a nice bruise across my belly for 3 weeks, didnt hurt the stone or mower at all