Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Magna-Matic
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Magna-Matic Lawn Mower Blade Balancers, Sharpeners, and more

Old 07-11-2003, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I purchased one last month. I had never before balanced a lawn mower blade in all these years. I haven't had an extreme number of spindle failures, but I have had a few. I figured vibration robs power so why not try to avoid it. After using it, I can't believe how out of whack my blades were. Now I have to save up for a grinder :)

BTW Pete, they must have really dropped it good...I don't see how you could dent this thing :)
Old 07-11-2003, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith
I purchased one last month. I had never before balanced a lawn mower blade in all these years. I haven't had an extreme number of spindle failures, but I have had a few. I figured vibration robs power so why not try to avoid it. After using it, I can't believe how out of whack my blades were. Now I have to save up for a grinder :)
We all know and have heard you can't see vibration problems until something breaks. With all of us overspeeding our motors, runnng doubles blades and increasing blade speed, it seems a logical step to buy a balancer.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Magna-Matic guys
J. Thomas has the Magna-Matic blade balancer for $180 and also a economy balancer for $3.27.

How much better is yours vs. the $3 balancer and why is it better?
Old 07-12-2003, 01:21 AM
Sponsor

Hello,

The plastic balancer for $3 - is really a homeowner toy more than anything.

1st problem - the cone is stepped - and you will find that more often than not the blades you use never seem to fit flush on any of the steps. So again we have this problem that we are not balancing from the CENTER POINT of the blade. If their cone were made like ours the blade would swivel even more than it already does on the mis-sized steps.

2nd problem - this is far from any type of real instrument or measuring tool - it is very inaccurate. The frictional resistance of this balancer is far greater than that of the accurate bearings used in MAGNA-MATIC balancers.

As I wrote this post I took my $3 balancer off my window sill next to my desk, and took some photographs to really show what this $3 balancer looks like and to show how it works.

The first picture is of the $3 balancer sitting on a level table top - and you can even see how it does not sit evenly on its own.

See the next two pictures, the cone which is hollow or you could kind of call it "concave" sits atop the plastic point.

The way this balancer works is LITERALLY like a teeter-totter principal, but the blade will tilt side to side and back and forth. So in other words - think of sitting on a teeter-totter. You can go up and down - but in this $3 balancer teeter-totter the board you sit on (the blade) could twist left and right as well. So you have no control of what you are measuring./guaging.

One other major advantage of our balancer is that you can check balance along the full 360 degree path of motion that the mower blade moves. This also allows you to check if the blades you are using are faulty - (i.e. the hole has been stamped in the wrong place).

Our balancers are also used in the quality control departments of blade manufacturers - now of course not every blade is checked and it is only checked to a very general loose tolerance. This is because blades are a mass produced product.

Now with our balancer you can properly and/or to a higher degree of accuracy than the original manufacturer.

J.Thomas does now carry the MAGNA-MATIC MAG-1000 - it previously carried a foriegn inaccurate knock-off of our balancer. We provided them an offer to carry the ORIGINAL MAG-1000 - and they accepted. Please also note they were selling the cheaply made knock-off and listing it in their catalog as a MAGNA-MATIC product.

So - after all this information - what are your options to balance your blades.

NAIL = worst possible solution

$3 Balancer =
a step up from the nail, very inaccurate, a great homeowner toy.

Foriegn Knock-Offs of the MAG-1000 =
inaccurate, the weak magnets will not hold up commercial blades with any degree of safety. These inferior knock-offs are priced from $130 to $250 - and at that point you are far better off spending a little more and getting the ORIGINAL with the QUALITY and ACCURACY that an instrument SHOULD HAVE.

Magna-Matic MAG-1000 =
The best possible solution, with the highest level of accuracy, and quality made to last 40+ years.

Please note that the MAG-1000 is avaliable at our FACTORY ONLINE STORE for a promotional price of $158 with free shipping.
$158 PRICE FOR ONLINE STORE ORDERS ONLY!

Thank you, please keep asking if you have more questions.

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
800-328-1110 (toll free USA & Canda)
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic-direct.com
www.youtube.com/magnamaticcorp
Old 07-12-2003, 01:27 AM
Sponsor

Pete O'Conner,

Perhaps you could explain WHY you balance the blades on your model heliocopters.

Perhaps that might also help people understand why BALANCE is so important for any rotational part.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
Old 07-12-2003, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magna-Matic
Pete O'Conner,
Perhaps you could explain WHY you balance the blades on your model heliocopters.
Perhaps that might also help people understand why BALANCE is so important for any rotational part. Thank you,
Actually, from a few of the past posts, you and I realize my explaination will fall on deaf ears. However, to simplify things all we need need to do is look at how important it is to balance our car tires. Not balancing them, besides resulting in the obvious vibration in the car, also causes tire wear and frontend damage.
I hope this helps,
Pete
Old 07-12-2003, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Pete, here we go again. Let others decide if your post are good or not. You don't need the sarcasm of the deaf ear routine.
Keep posting but get rid of the constant sarcasm. Your coming across with that Napolean complex and I don't mean ice cream.

Hey Magna-matic that is an excellent post about the plastic balancers. I though it was metal from the J. Thomas catalog.

I am confused by your quote
'We provided them an offer to carry the ORIGINAL MAG-1000 - and they accepted. Please also note they were selling the cheaply made knock-off and listing it in their catalog as a MAGNA-MATIC product.'

Do they sell your product or not? I would think you would have a lawsuit against J.Thomas if they are selling a foreign product and putting your name on.

This has been a great thread.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

LSDLS-
the way i read it J. Thomas used to have a foriegn product listed as a Magna Matic and when the guys at Magna Matic found out the offered to let J Thomas sell the "real deal." So as of now it is a Magna Matic but it didnt used to be.

-Coop
Old 07-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Sponsor

Ok, i suppose that sentance was not the most clear.

Here is the low down.

In March 2003 we attended the MGIA Expo in Novi MI, J.Thomas was also there exhibiting, and so we picked up a catalog. We were suprised to see that they showed a picture of the foreign knock-off of our balancer but advertised as a MAGNA-MATIC balancer.

We notified J.Thomas of their catalog mistake, and offered them to carry our balancer instead.

SO as of May 2003 J.Thomas carries MAGNA-MATIC brand balancers. But still be watchful - if it does not say MAGNA-MATIC on the balancer it is not one of ours.

One thing that should also be remembered about J.Thomas and any other catalog company that sells parts is that they are usually in the 2nd tear of distribution.

What does that mean?

Here is the break down of the chain of supply.

Manufacturer ---> Stens ---> J.Thomas ---> YOU

Now you can see how the things get sold. The 4 big companies of distribution are: (in no special order)

Stens - Rotary - Frederick Mfg (silver streak - OREGON) - Prime Line

These guys buy large quanties, and then sell to lower level distributors who then sell to you.

All of these companies used to carry the MAGNA-MATIC brand balancers, but now only FREDERICK and PRIME LINE carry the MAG-1000. Within the last 6-8 years Rotary and Stens have picked up the foriegn knock-offs so they could slightly increase profit margins - AND sell and inferior product at the same price a MAGNA-MATIC is or higher. And since the knock-offs are made to look similar to ours they feed off our brand name. One other aspect that made the foriegn knock-offs cheaper was exchange currency rates.

We have seen these knock-offs being sold from $130 to $250.

SEE MORE INFO HERE
http://www.magna-matic.com/support/c...cer_alert.html

This is the same problem we have with our sharpeners - since we do not want to sacrifice our quality and performance we cannot sell our sharpeners to the LARGE DISTRIBUTORS like RBG can, because they want a super cheap popcorn item that they can sell in volume. We make equipment to last a lifetime, and to perform.

This is why we have our factory direct sales and online store - we also have a small network of resellers (lawn mower dealers, etc.)

This way we can provide high quality products at the lowest possible prices.

--- One last thing --- yes sometimes the $3 balancers are metal, but the are most often plastic.

Thank you,

Magna-Matic Corporation
Waldo WI USA
920-564-2366 (PHONE)
gbauer2@magna-matic.com
www.magna-matic.com
Old 07-13-2003, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magna-Matic
All of these companies used to carry the MAGNA-MATIC brand balancers, but now only FREDERICK and PRIME LINE carry the MAG-1000. Within the last 6-8 years Rotary and Stens have picked up the foriegn knock-offs so they could slightly increase profit margins - AND sell and inferior product at the same price a MAGNA-MATIC is or higher. And since the knock-offs are made to look similar to ours they feed off our brand name. One other aspect that made the foriegn knock-offs cheaper was exchange currency rates.
As a maker of a sellable product for the Radio Control trade, Iíve also dealt with USA and import copies of my product. While some consumers look to save a few pennies by buying the cheapest items, my original post brings to light one of the reasons to buy from reputable company with good customer support.
Pete
http://petalrc.com/
Makers of quality R/C transmitter trays