Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2003, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im right with MTD MASTER. Just 34 accounts semi-solo 2 days mowing and 3 days of other stuff. Mowing makes up about 30% of my total gross
Old 07-31-2003, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't believe what I read here. I can do 10 with a lot of stress on my person. I start at 8 and finish at 4:00. I think that the main thing to consider is the fact that if if you charge the right price, then you don't have to do so many yards in a day. Ask you potential customers if they want hedges and weeds included in their agreement. Then you can get even more per yard and once again you can get home before it get too hot, before you get too tired, or before everyone else who charges too cheaply. Good luck to you.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I would have to say the biggest varieable for me is how much driving I have to do. My accounts are stretched out and I get killed by driving sometimes up to 10 min. between jobs. I'm Hoping to change that by adding new customers to my list in the areas I already have customers but I keep getting calls from other areas. Oh, well I live in a small town so can't complain to much. I can to about 10 on my own starting at 8 a.m. finishing at 5:00 pm 1 hour lunch. I know if I had more lawns to mow I would carry my lunch but I don't yet.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

All I can say is either y'all are doing something wrong, or don't have the proper equipment for the job. 10 in a day? As stated, I can do 15 in 5 hours, so if I worked a 10 hour day....30 yards. Majority of them are 5000 sqft or so, some larger. One is over an acre. I have a few together here, and a couple together there, and driving time is not too bad. And I'm OLD! C'mon you young guys, let's here some numbers! What is keeping y'all at only 10-12 yards? Size? Doesn't sound like it. Driving time? No, doesn't sound like that either. This has gotten me very curious, as I know I'm not Superman. How can our numbers be so different with the lawns being almost the same sizes, etc. Hmmmm......

~Nest
Old 08-06-2003, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How?

I can't believe it still Elephant. I have a 52 Surper Surfer and a 36 Wb and I spent from 9:00 to 4:30 and did 10 yards (15 minutes for lunch). Teach me your techniques. Of course, I did hedges on some and sprayed weeds on some. If I could do as many as you I would be rolling in the bucks. I am a solo operator and I mow, edge, trim and blow on every yard. Tell me your secret please.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

No secrets. I usually bring the eXmark, a 21", T-270, and echo blower.

Ex: I have a street with 4 almost side by side. I hop out, and mow everything, 2 on one side, and then mow the fronts of the two on the other side, and one back. Then I push mow a small backyard, grab the weedeater, and trim and edge, always walking at a brisk pace. Then I blow, usually blow everything towards my truck if it is too much to hide, then toss it in a bag and throw it on the truck.

Ok, to eXmark all 4 yards, minus one backyard takes about 20 -25 minutes. Push mow, 10 minutes, weedeat all 4 yards, another 20 mins, blow is 10-15 minutes tops. There is an hour, maybe 1.25 hours, and got 4 done. Then on to the next neighborhood.

Not sure if I take offense at "I can't believe it still Elephant." or not. I guess it's hard to know when someone online is pulling your leg, but I ask you this: If you have read any of my other posts, I think you will notice that I am honest, and try to help people here, not lie to them, correct? I mean, you're entitled to your opinions, but what part of what I say is SO hard to believe?? That's 4 yards in about an hour, x's 4 is 16 yards in 4 hours, with probably an hour of drive time altogether. 5 hours.

Having the mulch kit helps, because I wasn't done as soon when I used the Viking, with reg. blades. But still not that far off. Of those particular 4 accounts, 3 of them pay $30.00, and one (my only cheapo) pays $20.00 because she got me the other 3 accounts. Most of the others are $40.00 yards, and one being $70.00. Not bad when it's just me, but I don't have the accounts to do this everyday. Working on that.

I would be MORE than glad to have someone come with me one day, maybe someone from near the area, and maybe they can explain what goes on better than me, maybe from a different perspective. But I know that I timed myself, because it was the FIRST day with my eXmark, so I should get a touch quicker when I become more accustomed to it. Not by much though, because I am a veteran on eXmarks.

I left at 8:00AM, took an hour for lunch, and was home by 2:00PM, and had 14 + mine done. Believe it or not.

~Nest
Old 08-06-2003, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

elephants honesty and reputation is,without question,the best!

comes from being southern and raised with integrity
Old 08-06-2003, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 50 years old and can do 10-12 lawns in a 6 1/2 hour day using a Hustler Z w/ 52" deck. The lawns average about 8,000 SQ/FT. This includes trimming and edging. I start at 7:30 am and mow until 2:00 pm. It gets too hot after 2 o'clock here in Florida so I head home for the pool. The Hustler Z sure makes a BIG, BIG difference in the fatigue factor.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oops!

In no way was I calling you a lair. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It was said with more of an amazement inflection. I can see that if you have that many yards on one street how you can do so much work. I usually have to drive 10 minutes to each of my yards, which means that I can only do 10-12 in a day. Today I did 9 yards 2 of which take about an hour each to do. Sorry once again that you thought I was calling you a lair, my fault for not using one of those cool little faces over there on the left.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

No worries, I wasn't thinking you were calling me a liar, I just don't want you to think that it is too far fetched for you to reach. You, too can get this ammount of work done, just need to do some rearranging. I would seriously consider HEAVILY hitting the areas you already have accounts in with flyers, doorhangers, etc. Get more accounts in the same area, then, as needed, drop the ones too far out for too less money. Two average paying accounts usually create more profit than one good paying account out in the boon docks. Travel time there, then the work, travel time back, all adds up.

Also, I only have one neighborhood where I have 4 in a row. I have 2 and 3 together in other places, and some solos too. But the solos are all on the way to and/or from other jobs that are more clumped together.

~Nest