Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2000, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys. One thing everyone needs to do is check their insurance poicies. Everytime I turned around they tried to nicely screw me over with the inland marine insurance. <p>I am looking to hire my next employee - a big German Shepard. The police told me the alarms were worthless in a situation like mine for a couple of reasons. 1. We don't have the warehouse wired so we use generators instead of having electric power. 2. Someone who knew what they were doing could have been in and out in under 3 minutes. The police said very often the thieves are gone before they even receive the call. 3. In our city it is a $100 fine for false alarms. The police officer said that some business have a couple false alarms a month! Ouch$$. 4. Very few people are willing to take on a guard dog - especially at night.<p>I came in yesterday and had two messages from people saying &quot;we are calling about the break in on Millerton Ave.&quot; Both were cold callers trying to sell me alarm systems. They didn't want to talk when they found out we used generators. Both guys had copies of the police report before I did! <p>Southside: My agent told me that alot of companies do not look unfavorably on dobermans and huskies. I quess some companies just look at the potential risk of attack. The main dogs that no one accepts are rottweilers and pit bulls. We have several rottweilers that we approach every week on maintenance accounts and they are alot less protective than the chows which weren't even mentioned. <p>PS: any tips on protecting a guard dog? I am scared that they may get a hold of something that hurts or kills them. We properly store our herbicides etc., but if the new dog is like my lab he will find a way to get into something he is not supposed to be in.
Old 06-22-2000, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mountian Man-Sorry to hear about your bad day!I wonder if you had a mutt if the insurance company would complain?How about a 1/2 pitbull 1/2 chow!!!I know what you mean about chow's being agressive!!!!I don't know,I find the smaller the dog the more agressive they are.What about 5 poodles in your shopBut really I would seriously look into getting a dog from the pound.We love boxers and have owned 4.We bought an old female boxer years back and not only was she the sweetest dog you ever met,she also was the best gard dog I ever had.She was 8 years old had a limp in her leg and if anyone tryed to break I would not want to see what she would do!We had someone try to break in about 5 years ago.They smashed the window out in unbolted the dead bolt but went no further!That old girl let them know why they should not step in the door!!!!We also later found out from a guy who owned her before he said that she was a trained attack dog!!!We thought that was a nice plus.As far as keeping your dog out of stuff in your shop I would buy a book on the breed that you want to buy and it will tell you if that breed is prone to getting into your stuff.90% of the time dog's get into stuff becouse they are bored or are lonely.You want to find a breed that will not get lonely.Hope this will help!Oh one more thing!Female dog's for the most part are actually more aggressive than male.Keep that in mind!Plus if you buy a female you will not have to worry about haveing a male marking his territory in your shop.If there are no tree's to pee on then he will have to resort to trimmers<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 06-22-2000, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

You have just encounteres true SCRUBS!!!!
Old 06-25-2000, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

After doing the inventory of everything, we found they also got a sulky that doesn't fit any of the mowers they stole and they got a bed edger. There is no doubt in my mind that it was another landscaper. How many other thieves would take a bed edger when there were 8-10 better, bigger, and more expensive machines right beside it?<p>Hopefully, I took care of my security problem today. I got a German Shepard that will stay over at the shop full time.
Old 06-26-2000, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear you got that dog mountian man!Man even if that was an other landscaper he was pretty dumb for not takeing your truck and mowers!Talk about stupid!!!!!&quot;Stupid is as stupid does&quot;as gump would say<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care