Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-16-2003, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Need info on mowers

Sorry if this gets a little long.

I currently mow my 3 acre yard with a 15HP, 42" Craftsman. It's transmission and mower deck will (hopefully) finish up this mowing season, but won't make another. I'm looking into getting a new mower later this year or early next. Right now it takes me 5 - 7 hours or so just to mow due to lots of trees and other obstacles, plus the yard is pretty rough in spots so I have to keep the speed down. The yard also grows rocks and occasionally coughs up old plow points and other stuff when you least expect it. I pick up rocks and mow with the deck all the way up but do sometimes hit stuff. Its not really sloped all that much but there are some dips and ditches.

After doing some research and reading on this forum, I've pretty much decided on a commercial ztr with probably a 48" deck, due to mowing between stuff. I've got some low hanging branches so I ruled out a walk behind and I really don't think another tractor will improve things much. The front mount ztr's with flip up decks look real attractive because of the ease of changing blades, which I've had to do quite a bit of. I'm looking for something with a heavy duty mower deck, ease of maintenance, and good reliability for a lot of years, plus reasonably priced parts with good availability when things need to be replaced. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so I'll be doing my own maintenance, unless something really serious happens.

The dealers in my area are John Deere, Kubota, Grasshopper, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Dixon, Toro, and, I think, Woods, plus maybe a couple of others. The Exmark, Hustler, and Dixie Chopper dealers are 1 - 2 hours away or more. I'm not going to demo anything until I get the choices narrowed down a bit more and am ready to buy, but so far I'm interested in the Grasshopper 618, JD F687, and Kubota GF1800. The cost of those are more than I really had planned to pay, but I'm willing to for a quality machine and I'd rather not buy used. I'd appreciate anyone's comments on these models or suggestions on others to look at. Also, what's the best time of year to buy to get the best pricing? Please don't say now.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ann - do a search on this site, you'll find more info. on mowers than you probably want. In my opinion, if you are buying a commercial mower for residential use, the cost will be offset by the many years of service you will get. If you wait till this fall, some dealers will lower their prices a bit, but don't expect a lot of savings as the ZTR's are the hottest mowers going right now.

Mike
Old 07-18-2003, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Hmm,
sounds just like my yard.
I used to cut with a 42" 18hp cheapo mower for about 4 hrs, then push-mow a steep slope 30 minutes and weed-whack around trees etc. for another 30 minutes.
Cost me my whole week-end, seems like.
I ended up with a 618, I think the Woods 6182 is essentially the same. I sold my push mower since and haven't used my weed-whacker as well. The whole 3 acres take me an hour to finish. And oh boy, when I'm done it looks 10 times better than it ever looked with all the other equipment; beautiful stripes too.
The reason I chose the 618 was largely for the front mounted deck. I haven't mowed once without cleaning out the deck afterwards.
Next to easy maintenance the front mounted deck allows you to push it under fences, swingsets, bushes, spruces, etc. etc.
The way the deck is mounted to the tractor allows it to follow the dips and bumps of the lawn easily.
True, they all are expensive, but looking at the quality of construction its worth it.
There are plenty more benefits, no clumping or wind-rowing in tall grass, mowing in the rain or wet lawn, easy mulching of leaves, etc.
The best time of the year is probably towards the end, when dealers want to empty their warehouses; or early spring - when some have last years model or offer discounts on the new models.
I'd make the same choice again, I just might be tempted to go once size larger and consider a 25 hp model though. Also, if you go with a 618, opt for the 52" deck, it'll be worth it, trust me.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Catcher, thanks for the info. Of the three mowers I mentioned, I like the 618 best so far. How long have you had yours and have you had any problems at all with it so far?
Old 07-19-2003, 04:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Of the brands you have listed, near and far, I would suggest traveling to those dealers that are farther away if the closer brands mentioned are what you have to pick from.
This is just purely from a durability stand point.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

You're welcome.
I bought mine new in spring of 2000, so it's the third year now.
The only real problem I had was a leak where the hydraulic drive hose connects with the reservoir, the dealer was cool about giving me a new tank free of charge - that happened this spring. I also noticed that they changed the design of the tank where the leak occured.
My biggest (and probably only) complaint about this mower is its air-filter.
Which engineer is braindead enough to outfit a piece of outdoors equipment with an airfilter that small. I constantly find myself blowing it out or replacing it.
The machine works beautifully otherwise and I haven't had any other problems.
As far as Rusty Goat's comment on durability, I have no doubt that you could run it off of a small cliff and not suffer much damage (to the machine, that is - not so sure about yourself).
Have your dealer throw some Gatorz on for you if you buy it.
If you can get yourself to keep the unit clean and maintained it should last you a lifetime .........
Old 07-24-2003, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Go after the TORO. There is a dealer in Harrison (J & J ask for Jerry). The ideal unit for you is the 17h Kaw w/44" deck. This is a commercial unit 2 year warranty & they sell for around the $6000 mark. While this may sound high, for the homeowner this would propely be the last mower you buy.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I don't know. The last Toro I looked at had a chinsy stamped out deck. I thought it was overpriced for what it had to offer. My guess is that you are paying an excessive price for the fancy nametag (unless you can afford a Groundmaster).
Same goes for Husquarna and Cub in my humble opinion.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Catcher
Well, I don't know. The last Toro I looked at had a chinsy stamped out deck. I thought it was overpriced for what it had to offer. My guess is that you are paying an excessive price for the fancy nametag (unless you can afford a Groundmaster).
Same goes for Husquarna and Cub in my humble opinion.
No what this is, is a Z-MASTER. chinsy stapped deck???? 9 gage steel - the same as a fabricated deck - WITH A 2 YEAR WARRANTY ON THE DECK SHELL. That ain't chinsy! And the $$ is no more than any one else of ther same caliber
Old 07-24-2003, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Redbull,

Thanks, for the info. I just looked on Toro's website and from what I can tell the 44" deck looks to be 12 gauge with an 11 gauge "Bull nose"? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. We've got a dealer here in Russellville (a small dealer) that reps several brands, Toro, Cub Cadet, Grasshopper. I told him what I had and he recommended the Grasshopper and priced it at less than $7000 fully loaded. What fully loaded means, I'm not real sure, I'm having trouble finding info on all their options. I took it to mean with the full flotation package, flip up deck, etc. There's always the chance he was pushing it just to sell me a more expensive mower, but I don't know for sure.