Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-02-2003, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

when to buy a z-rider

i bought my walk behind about a 2 months ago, i'm doing pretty good with my accounts but i feel that i should buy a z-rider, i have been looking at scag, lesco, bunton, and dixie chopper. but i'm not sure when is it a good time to buy one of these mowers, should i wait til i have so many accounts that i can manage them or i do it now should i can have the ability to use the machine and get use to its operations. any recommendations on which one too? please no exmark unless u can give me a reason.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I am interested in tis question also. I have a Gravely 36" walk behind. I have acquired 8-10 customers. I just was asked to put in a bid on a 4 acre property. First I must get the job but wondering when to upgrade. Also must find out how to quote the price in Dayton Ohio.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wouldn't 'upgrade' until I had to.
Meaning as long as you're doing fine with a w/b, stay with it. Yes, you can theoretically do more and do them quicker, once you are used to the machine, can get through the gates, and deal with the areas a rider will not go.
You must feel secure in your customer base, return clients, have enough business now, tomorrow, and the next day to pay for your equipment.
If your income is between 12k and 20k, don't you think it excessive to spend 8k or more on 'a' mower?
This gets blown out of the water if you're really going to be doing a lot more annually, but are you with eight accounts?
Just saying don't buy more equipment than you can feed.
Brands, you can't go wrong with Scag or Great Dane. IMO.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. You said scag and Greta Dane are good models. Any info on gravely, havew been happy with their walkbehind so far?
Old 07-21-2003, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

its does a good job for me i really like it , i'm glad i didnt but the hydro cause i think it would be silly to spend 4000.00 for a 36 in hydro. i can put that money toward a z-rider.