Register free!

Old 07-23-2003, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

flex pricing of major fertilizing companies

how does one account for the differences in pricing of some larger companies. i have seen the same company charge 45.00 for a 5000 s.f. lawn and then charge 30 for another 5,000 s.f. lawn. also if using the same formula for pricing large lawns (base + per thousand) it seems profitability goes way down. is there an adjustment? and if so what about commercial properties, is there a different base + price per thousand and how much should the base cover in s.f. ?
Old 07-23-2003, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe the extra time spent to apply is calculated.

I charge a sqft price, but if it's a PTA and I have ot use more tools on it, of course the price goes up for the extra time that will be spent.

Also the larger the area, the price per an M goes down.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

difficulty factor has to be calculated in,

also say you locked up the customer in January w/ 1 foot of snow on the ground and didn't realize how big or small the yard actually was.

finally maybe they offer better prices where they have a dense customer base and travel time is less.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also, many of times, it just depends on who the kid was that was doing the estimate. Sometimes, they just "eye it over", and say. "Man, I want to GET this sale!" Then, they put down whatever they feel like putting at the time, whether it be an approximation of the size of the property, or the price of a case of beer. This happens all too often, then when the tech comes out to spray, they get ticked, because they still have to make their $1100. a day quota, and here they're doing a $135 lawn for 70 bucks. Every once in a great while, a tech will report a mismeasure like this, but the price isn't changed, because the customer has already been sold for that price. ANOTHER reason you see different prices like this, is because while they do both Mr. Johnson's and Mr. Smith's houses right down the street from each other, if Mr. Smith says. "I'm sorry, but I can't afford to have my lawn sprayed anymore for $55 an application." The comany then replies. "Oh really? Well, how about if we do it for $35 now, instead?" Like I said, - this happens ALL the time! It's getting ridiculous.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

HER HERE....Well said runner.....I say let them keep burnin. In time it will come back and bite them. PEOPLE GET WHAT THEY PAY FOR. Best sales line I have...and it works....Must be why they keep calling to buy us out!!!!!

RUNNIN SCARED
PADDIN NUMBERS
KEEPING SHAREHOLDERS HAPPY
Old 08-05-2003, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

had a new franchise company come in to my neighborhood nice enough to give me a free estimate on a door hanger $44 ok seemed low checked neighbors house down the street $44 again did whole neighborhood 44 i charge 65 and up for most lawns
hope he is having fun
Old 08-06-2003, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not try to compete with the franchise. continue to give great service and use good products to keep your lawns quality high.
often the big companys use cheeper products and cannot give as good of service...they focus too much on the numbers and that hurts quality. keep sellinq quality and service...good customers can appreciate that and do not mind paying a little extra for it.