Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2003, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Used Exmark Laser

I'm a homeowner with about 4 acres of lawn and field to mow. I want to get a commercial mower and have been visiting my local dealers today. At a minimum, I want a 52" deck with the appropriate HP to handle the deck. I've looked at Deere, Scag, Gravely, Cub Cadet and Exmark. I'd like to stay as close to the $6500 mark as possible.

Both the Deere and Scag seemed over priced. The Gravely and Exmarks are beautiful but expensive. The Cub Cadet looks good enough and is priced right.

But...... the was also a used Exmark at the dealership. It is a Laser Z with a 60" deck and the 27 hp liquid cooled Kawi. It has 250 hours on it and was a repossession by the dealer. It looks really clean- no repair welds visible, deck looks good. They are asking $6600 for it. How is this for a price? The hours seem low for a commercial unit so I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the price when compared to new, lesser mowers. If I don't go for this, I'm leaning towards the new Cub Cadet M54 (23 kawi, 54" deck), priced at $5950 (0% financing).

Before I get a bunch of other suggestions, these are the only dealers in the area, except for Kubota. Yes, I wish I had a Hustler Mini Z to look at, but the nearest dealer is 80 miles from me.

All the mowers I looked at are more than I need, so any of them will do just fine. But being able to get the best of the best (Exmark) at an affordable price, is very tempting. Even though the Exmark is used, I doubt I'll put 200 hours on it over the next 10 years, which is still well within it's expected lifetime.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not bad. $6600 is probably about 1800-2400 bucks less than what you could expect to pay for a new one.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What year is this LC Lazer?

Tell him you'll give $6500 if you can get a new set of Excalibur blades with it!

May want to look into their suspension seat retrofit, or their full suspension seat. ZTR's are rough riding mowers if the lawns rough.

Climbing on 900 hrs on my LC LaZer. Like it a lot.

I paid $8495 for mine late in Y2K.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 07-27-2003, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get the Lc Lazer. Resale value, Knowing you got the best, Quality of cut, 27 kawie power, L/C will last long time, And Exmark customer service(their #1 for a reason).
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 07-27-2003, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For home use, I would say the LC used Exmark is more than you need.

You never know what's going on with used mowers, it could have been a lemon even. At that amount of hours it's had time to be abused some, too. And not having a lot of experience with these mowers, I don't know if you could tell the difference in a good one and a bad one.

On a $6500 budget, I'd take a look at a NEW Exmark Lazer Z HP with a 20hp Kohler and 48" deck or maybe the full size lazer with the base engine. Assuming you're cutting it frequently, power won't be as much of an issue like it would be for a commercial cutter. You'd have a newer mower with less risk.

But if it's a good one, the used Exmark LC 60" would actually be cheaper in the long run. And you'd save some time mowing, of course. Just be prepared for surprises if it has problems. Your "repo" might actually be their "lemon".
Old 07-27-2003, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

As a home owner you will not be abusing the used machine and if maintained it will probably outlast you.Offer the dealer less and see what he says,but be firm in your offer until you see him not want to budge .If he won't budge on the price go for extras (New blades etc.)If 6600 is their asking price there is room to move. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input, guys. Any suggestions on what I should look for when inspecting the used Exmark? What are the typical things that cause problems that might not be obvious at first glance? I work with inductrial machinery every day so I'm familiar with inspection techniques, maintenance procedure, etc. but could use a hand on some of the more invisible defects, like electrical and hydro issues.

Also, any thoughts on the Cub Cadet M54? I realize it's not the favorite of the lawn professionals, but seems like it would meet all my needs, and the price is right. I kind of look at the commercial mowers as high end sports cars. The experts can debate if a Porche is better than a Ferarri or a Corvette, but, in every day use, all of them are fast enought to drive to the super market.

Also, one last question. I always read "demo, demo, demo" on your own property. With this level of machinery, wouldn't ANY commercial mower be able to handle my needs? If so, wouldn't price become the selling point then? Keep in mind this is for home use and I doubt I'll put more than 30 hours a year on.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2003, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

80 is not that far

As the owner of a Y2K LC LazerZ [just like Tommy's] I can highly recommend it as a quality machine and I would purchase one again, but have also demo'd other brands just to keep up with current technology for when I replace mine.

I demo'd a SuperZ at the beginning of the season [search under my posts for the review] and with no local dealer, I called the only dealer I could find who was some 95 miles from me. They gladly loaded a SuperZ on their truck, drove it up and let me run it as long as I wanted which was about 3 hours.

To make a short story long, there wasn't enough reason for me to switch AT THIS TIME to the Super Z but that dealer went a long way to convince me with customer service and attention and the machine, properly equipped, could be a good choice for the right conditions.

Go ahead and call the 80 mile away dealer, all he can say is no and he might surprise you. As for service, my Exmark dealer was 17 miles away and is now 3 miles away and I've still never had to take it to their shop! Good luck , Will M>
Old 07-28-2003, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the exmark lazer CT is a nice unit.48 inch deck with a 19 hp B&S.ransomes bobcat has some great prices on there ztrs as well.they have a 48 inch deck ztr for 5999 in my area.but that used exmark is fair priced. with 500 to 800 hours there going for 6500 in my area
Old 07-29-2003, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

The slightly used Exmark seems to be the way to go.... as suggested, offer less $$ and if they don't budge look for upgrades to the seat and extra sets of blades as also suggested. At 250 hours it is only just broken in.

As far as demo'ing, if you have any hills I suggest you try before you buy. Some ZTR's handle better than others... and they will not all "feel" the same when you are operating them.