Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-02-2000, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if an extended bed could substitute for a trailer...what do u guys think? What about fitting a 60" Emarks Lazer with all the equipment needed for a one man show???
Old 10-02-2000, 05:53 PM

yah right!

You can't put a lazer in the back of a truck. Trailers are so much easier to work off of because you can get racks and stuff and be more organized. i would never try to put a rider in the back of a truck unless your talking a flatbed or something then MAYBE it would work but I still wouldn't do it. A 60" won't even fit in a pick up. Trailers are definitly the best way to go. Get like a 12' open trailer for 1400.00, put some racks on and your set.
Old 10-02-2000, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course you can!

You should see the set-up that SILVA builds- it's so sweet!
11ft. flatbed with a 3ft. hyrdraulic beavertail and then a standard ramp.

Advantages:
Smaller package
Better fuel milage
Park anywere
No registation, insurance on trailer
No trailer maintenance, tires, etc.
Wider deck (8' vs. 6')

Disadvantages:
Dedicates your truck for that use.
Quite expensive to custom upfit.
Old 10-02-2000, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re: yah right!

LGG said:

[QUOTE]

"Get like a 12' open trailer for 1400.00, put some racks on and your set."

heck! go buy a NEW tandem, 16 foot for $750!

GEO
Old 10-02-2000, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey Lazer whats a 3 foot hydrauilc beaver tail??? and who's SILVA??? And also would u need dual rear wheels to support the extra weight??
Old 10-02-2000, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$750 for a 16 ft??? WHere is this at??? I don't think you would need a dual axle for that and if you think you do, the extra money it would cost to get a dual axle you can get a trailer!!! I would not attempt to run a laser up and dowm ramps all day long, trust me something will happen!! Look for a small used trailer somewhere, it will save a lot of aggravation.
Old 10-02-2000, 06:43 PM

Geogunn- where are you going to get a 16' for 750.00 I've never seen one that cheep. I would get a 16' but you don't need one. I have a 12' tandem trailer and i can fit 3 walkbehinds on it. i'm going to get a 20' enclosed next summer though.

Lazer- I've seen those trucks and they are sweet but I didn't think he was talking about that. The bad thing about them is there a dedicated mower truck. I can't see spending the money on a mowing truck. A mason dump or grain body is so much more versitile, especially if you do landscaping and other stuff besides cutting. You just slap a trailer behind it and your set. Unless all you do is mow i think those trucks are worthless, they are nice though, if thats what you need. I would never get one though cause I do more landscape install and stuff than mowing so it would be dumb. I think trailers are better, the disavantages of those trucks seem to out wiegh the advantages.
Old 10-02-2000, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is a very tuff question!You can very easly have just a truck.....no problem!There are loads of trucks out there with long frames.But to get a truck you will have to buy a dually.Up here in canada there are f-350's that have been customized with longer frames,they use a 19 foot box!Just rip the box off and put a flat bed on it.That could probably hold aboy 3 lasers!!!!I have been thinking of picking one up!They are pretty cheap.They where all used by a patato chip company,so they would mostly have highway milage.The only problem would be that you would have to beef up the suspension to hold that extra weight.But that is not a real challenge.I personally think it would be better to have a large truck with a flat bed.Cheaper on gas,alot more easy to park,less manitnce costs.It would mostliklely be cheaper to run a trailer in the short run,but when I get the funds I will be seriously thinking about a large flatbed setup.

Old 10-02-2000, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will try to email eric a picture of myb lawn truck. It is a 12' flat bed with a 4' beavertail and ramp mounted on a Ford 350 diesel. During the cutting season it is 10x better than a truck and trailer combo, at least when you deal with employees. It is;
1) more fuel efficient
2) easy to drive
3) easy to back up
4) fits in my shop with no trailer hook up time.

The disadvantages are ;
1) no room to haul debri
2) no side gate for quick unloading of that seldom used walkbehind
Old 10-02-2000, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Lazer, could you show us a pic of this rig?
I saw a Toyota one ton dually in Atlanta. Custom bed with box up front,flatbed with 18in sides and a dove tail with a spring assist ramp. He said it fit in his garage.
I would love to not have to drag a trailor.
Plenty of room for enough equiptment to keep two guys busy.
Saw an Isuzu NPR down here that had a side dump up front. Equiptment behind the dump.
JOSHUA 24:15
Yesteryear Lawn Care