Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-02-2000, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone use a 3/4 or 1 ton van for spraying setup? I am thinking of using one for ornamental and lawn apps. and just wondering how do you vent the exhaust or just roll the windows down and open all the doors?!?
Old 10-02-2000, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Contractor who outfitted my van showed me vans from a nearby company that does pesticide applications. They were custom making a plexiglas barrier attached to the partition behind seats. The plexi had a rubber seal where it met the body of the truck. I think this company only carried dry chem in the van, but the smell and dust was bothering them. The barrier worked so good, this was the second batch of vans they were doing.

Think you will have a problem in carrying liquid pesticide not isolated from driver. Engine exhaust would be minor compared to that if pesticide regulators saw rig you suggest. Why not just a trailer? Then it can go on any vehicle.
Old 10-02-2000, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to have a setup to keep all chemicals, sprayers etc. in one place and locked up, might go that route(trailer) but i thought a van would be easier. And not jumping in and out of a regular truck spreading residue. Is that the setup you're using with the plexiglass? Are you using a gas engine sprayer? Also with the van it makes a nice clean billboard!
Old 10-05-2000, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Todd, I have been using a 1 ton Chevy van for over three years now. I like the van concept, everything enclosed, out of the weather etc. I have a bulkhead in mine also behind the seats, but it still doesn't filter out all of the fumes.
Have a 200 lawn tank and 100 tree tank, and it handles these well. Only when I spill gas in the back do I have any complaints.
Major drawback to a van is the fert WILL cause it to RUST.
I have a Rhino lining on the inside, but my doors are just about ready to fall off.
Old 10-05-2000, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

spray rig set up

I have a 16 ft.trailer set up with a turf tank and a tree tank. Everything stays dry can be locked and when I pull up to a job I can perform any task. spray for weeds, aphids in trees and shrubs. Plus i have room for hort. tools ( shovels and rakes) pruning tools. No exaust or chemical fumes to disturb the operator. Extremely convenient.