Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2003, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a quad for spot spraying with a 14 gallon Fimco tank that connects to the battery with alligator clips. The tank mounts on the rear carry rack and is held in place with bungie cords. The Quad is a Honda 250 Recon. Would be nicer if automatic tranny. Used mostly for parking lots and fencelines.
2008 F350 Stake body 6.4 Diesel
1992 Chevy 1500
4 Boss snowplows
1 Grasshopper 722D 61"
3 Grasshopper 223 61"
1 Kubota ZD 331 72"
1 Toro 36" W/B
1 Toro 44" W/B
1 Wright Stander 52"
1 Massey Ferguson 1428 Tractor
1 Kubota RTV 1100 diesel with broom
Husqvarna trimmers
Stihl and Redmax blowers
Old 07-30-2003, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by mottster
as long as your not just blazing through turns it won't tear it up. It might pack the grass down and make prints in the dirt underneath the grass but the grass will come back and it will act like aerating.

you don't have to be in 1st gear...i'm sure 2nd will do good too.
No comparison to aerating...So "like aerating" does not work.

There is no cheap substitution for the spray rig, you still need a tank to carry water. 14-25 gallons aint going to make it all day.

I said "1" gear not first gear.

Nothing beats a spray rig that can apply 2 gallons per 1000. It is actually more versatile in the lawn care biz than an ATV.

You will make more money with a skid sprayer than you will with an ATV.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

are you spraying a little or everyday how many liquid apps do u make. i have sprayed with just about anything that will work however there are many factors do you spray large areas or small homes?
i have sprayed with a quad it sucked i had a 25gal tank and 6ft spray boom very hard to keep even speed applications were not very good plus not very maneuverable. i also have a 200 gal skid sprayer cheaper than a good quad and more professional
but it had limitation's to. a backpack sprayer will work for smaller homes and is very cheep. i now have a ford E-350 stretched van
with a 100 gal tank and a lesco ride on sprayer i can fill up the tank and put 1000lb. of bag material and my ride on sprayer all inside plus a lesco push spreader and a backpack sprayer
i highly recommend a ride on sprayer it is very accurate and u waste less product i have cut my application times by 1/4 and can do more homes in a day i love that machine. go ride one see 4 u self
if you want a toy buy the quad if you want to make money buy a sprayer meant to do just that spray.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been thinking the ATV route too, but I know I would just be using it to play with instead of work .- I also thought about buying a used golf cart and turning it into a spray rig. But I've thought about enough to know that what LGF is saying is right. A skid sprayer is the way to go. That will be my next big purchase.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone mentioned an ATV would tear up the turf if turning too fast but in my experience, at least with solid axel quads (all but the models with IRS), the rear tires turn at the same rate of speed no matter how fast you are going. ATVs tear up turf very easily in many ways if you are not careful. The trick is not to slow down, but to make broader turns. This makes it less maneuverable and therefore not the best option for use as a spraying rig unless you can do it in wide-open areas. Not trying to discourage you. Just wanted to bring this to the light before you spend $3200 - $7500 on an atv for the purpose of spraying. But its OK. We all know why you really want it! You don't have to justify to us (we're not yer wife). Got for it and ride it like you stole it! (but wear a helmet)
Old 08-03-2003, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I had to spray the weeds in the parking lot of a local community college. I put a 25 gallon tank in the back of my gator and had a friend drive me around while I sprayed. We covered a lt of ground in a short amount of time.
Attached Images

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bet all of these Quads are a deduction...gets me thinking
Old 09-14-2003, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

2002 prairie 650 4x4 100% writeoff. Wheelies better than my stander.
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 09-14-2003, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i can see were the atv has it's place in the application field...my friend got a spray tank kit from northern parts and heuses it for round up in parking lots...
i wonted to use it for fungicide applications but never did....

if you are into this application business .....buy a ride-on spreader and applicate....also buy the atv and enjoy yourself...

i feel that if you are going to use an atv for lawns it should be an auto trans...
ant

2003 ford F 150
1- 14' OPEN TRAILER sold
1- 16' open trailer
BILLMASTER SOFTWARE FOR MY LAWN CARE.
http://www.customizedbusinesssoftware.com
QUICK BOOKS FOR ACCOUNTING
1- Z SPRAY Intermediate
1- Z SPRAY MAX
2-Z PLUGGER
1-Lesco Renovator
1- CLASSEN SPLIT REEL CORE AERATOR
1- 150 GAL NURSE TANK WITH A 20 GPM TIGER PUMP.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The most fun "tool"(writeoff) I have.
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .