Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2000, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been visiting this website for a few months now and have gained so much knowledge of this field. Site traffic has increased significantly in the last two months. Lots of the new posts have been answered, and answered well time and time before. Maybe a FAQ for new users is needed. Not so much to reduce same old posts (hydro vs. belt, ect.) but to give new users the same opportunity to learn what has been discussed before. <p>I have noticed that lots of post are not being given the same sage advice they used to solicit, and let's face it, most do not use the search feature before posting. Maybe a FAQ is needed to field these important but rehashed topics? These are some of the topics I could think of including.<p>Pesticide Use<br>Herbicide Use.<br>Mower preferences and loyalties.<br>Hydro vs. Belts drive.<br>Blade selection and sharpening.<br>Scrubs<br>Trimmer and string issues.<br>Security and theft issues.<br>Walk-behind vs. riders<br>Commercial vs. Residential work.<br>Contracts.<br>Software.<br>Billing and collections.<br>Insurance. Liability and property.<br>Worker's Compensation<br>Taxes.<br>Bagging & Mulching.<br>Job costing.<br>Online Suppliers.<br>Professional Associations.<br>Routine maintenance.<br>Deck size and productivity.<br>Winter Income.<br>Industry magazines and Publications.<br>Legal Issues.<br>Posting etiquette.<br>Supporting this site, banner ads.<br>Where & how to pee in Bushes.<br>Advertising & Marketing.<br>Fertiliztion.<br>Blowers & Power Rakes.<br>Customer Service.<br>Velke & Sulkes.<br>Sod and Seeding.<br>Erik's unhealthy affection for Dixies.<br>Fuel and Oil.<br>Routing.<p>I'm sure I have left out many issues. Please post as to any topics that could be added. Writing and posting the FAQ is up to Eric and Chuck. Just a suggestion to possibly improve an already wonderful and useful site.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GrassRoots Lawn Care
Old 06-24-2000, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mike, thats probobly the best post I've seen around here in the past month!!! It might just work. We should have one message for each beand of mower so people could put their praises, bitches and gripes in one section. I can't handle any more, this mowers better then this one, etc posts!!!! Say you put on for comments on Toro, one for Exmar, one for Scag, etc. It will unclutter this part of the forum I think. You ralso right about people not giving out the same answers as before! But I don't really blame anybody, how many times do you want to explain how to sharpen a blade, How much to charge, etc. It gets old after a while. E-mail Eric and Chuck, cause I think this is a great idea.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 06-25-2000, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

<br>The FAQ's would make a good book to sell also, keep it as a handy reference tool under the seat, in the shop, downloaded into a Palm, etc.<p>The FAQ's would need updating as trends and product lines change.<p>But would there be anything left to post about?
Old 06-25-2000, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

The FAQ wouldn't have to be very specific. Just enough to field basic newbie questions. Loaded with good advice. Still lots of more detailed and specific questions to keep the forum going. The forum has over a thousand members and good momentum. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
Old 06-26-2000, 11:36 AM

I think this is a good idea. Everyone can read the archives first before posting. Then if you have something new to add then make a post. I am sure we all come up with new ways to do things or new insite on equipment we have just tried or have had for awhile. New people to the forum can bring fresh ideas to old questions. But updating yourself on whats been discussed in the past and bring some new insite to the posting or replying No one on here has all the right answers. And sometime an answer is not the only right answer. There are many ways to do some things. That way just might not be your way.