Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Suspended

Very nice story, extremely well written......
Old 09-25-2003, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enjoyed your story very much!
Old 10-08-2003, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It reminds me of Rayn Newman...........he has an engineering degree and look what he did with it.............drives a stupid car around a track! I'm sure he was told to get a real job too.

Keep the positive attitude and stay within your limitations and you'll do just fine.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I really enjoyed that story mybe one more kick at the cat is in order thank again
Old 02-06-2004, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good story, very inspirational.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Man that was a sweet story. Your motivation for all us new guy's. Thank you for the push.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

That's a good story when work is slow and even you're having a hard time believing in yourself. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, very inspirational...I'm seeing a common thread here...individualist/loners with drive, square pegs with no desire to fit in with the round multitudes, who want to define their own existence...I see this pattern again and again on this site. Your story is well told. Tony
Old 02-15-2004, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BCF
That's a good story when work is slow and even you're having a hard time believing in yourself. Thanks.
I think the number one thing I have to thank for where I am today is my determination. There were many times when I thought I should just give it up, many times when I was discouraged and bummed out. I just kept putting my head down, ignoring what everyone else was saying, and pushing through. Lots of bigger companies would laugh at us when we were just newbies, but I ignored them and I was convinced that doing things differently, not like everyone else, would teach me more and get me further than the rest of the pack. Maybe I was stupid, maybe I was determined, but I just kept pushing and didn't stop. Get that attitude, and keep it, and you'll do fine.

Old 02-18-2004, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

My story is not really a story, but more of an intro. In May of 2002 my father and I were getting ready to mow at his house and my grandmother's house. They are each on four acres of land. It took two of us all day to mow, trim and cleanup both properties. Before we started my Dad sat on one of the ride-ons and looked me in the eyes. I never saw the look of fear in anyone like I did this day. After a few gulps he told me with teary eyes that he had cancer. He fought hard, but lost in January of 2003. The best memories I have of my father are those days when we got together and mowed the fields. When he died, I realized that I took life for granted. I also realized that some parts of our lives are more important than other parts. Specifically, I realized that it's not all that bad to have dreams and try to achieve them, no matter what people think. I too have a college degree and work 9 to 5 as a PC Technician. I make decent money, but hate the whole corporate mentality. My boss got laid off 5 months ago after being with the company for 12 years. 12 Years! He devoted 75% of his life in that 12 years to working for this company. He missed out on watching his children grow up and his devotion to the job created tension in his marriage. He basically sacrificed his family to the company and the corporate suits just said one day "sorry, but we have to cut back". I just won't let that happen to me. These are the reasons why I'm starting over soon. Right or wrong. I'm going to get all my ducks in a row, and devise a solid business plan. And then, I'm outta there! Sure, I won't make a lot of money in the beginning. That's OK. My lifestyle doesn't require much. I'll make it through, and one day a couple of years down the road I'll post my success story here. It's refreshing to hear stories from people that had the same drive, ambition and vision that I now have. Thanks for the inspiration.