Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-03-2000, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When it comes to buying a backpack blower, which is more important to look for, air velocity or cfm's or both? Where does the real power come from?
Old 10-03-2000, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Member

cfm's and velocity

I have always looked at cfm's and velocity.

I have two Husky 145's I like them. Husky has the one hand controls on the pipe. I think Stihl does too. Husky now has 155's out. (more velocity)

Everyone tells me though that the Stihl has the best backpack blower. Probably my next two will be Stihl's, maybe. I have a Stihl HR75 hand-held blower with a vacuum attachment. Man, that thing really picks leaves and debris up. I really like it. If the the Stihl back-packs are like that I will buy them next time.

Old 10-03-2000, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

CFM's is what will move large piles of debris. Velocity will help dislodge debris. I've seen hand held blower ad's that claim a velocity of 200mph. I doubt it. Think about this, you can probably blow through a drinking straw over 100 mph. But with out much CMF's, your not going to move very much.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 10-03-2000, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I look for light weight also,I had a heavy old snapper BP for a while,it was very hard to get on and so so heavy.
Old 10-03-2000, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i currently am using a stihl Br400. i worked with a landscaper who had 4 of them and when i started my business i never took a second look at them. i went out and bought one for myself. the hand controls on the pipe work very well and are very comfortable to use. i would recommend giving stihl a good hard look. its worth it
Old 10-03-2000, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to http://www.alamia.com do some comparasins Echo, Stihl, Red Max ect ect we have Echo PB60Hts and love em but do the comparisons and make sure its a commercial blower.
Old 10-03-2000, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

BR400

I just got my First backpack blower yesterday. Afer reading the posts in here I decided on the Stihl BR400. I am very impressed. It is easy, comfortable and has tons of power. I love to use it. Sure beats the hell out of the Backpack echo's I used when I worked for someone else. And It really kills my 3 year old echo hand held. I would definately buy another and recommend it to others.
Old 10-04-2000, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

BP Blowers

As most of you know I run a Stihl backpack blower. I have the BR320. Not the biggest out there but big enough for me. I do parking lot, lawn, and actually pine needle work with it. If you're power hungary, go for the 400. I don't care what anyone says, I think Stihl is the best! And it sure beats the crap out of sweeping!

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-04-2000, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

BP Blowers

As most of you know I run a Stihl backpack blower. I have the BR320. Not the biggest out there but big enough for me. I do parking lot, lawn, and actually pine needle work with it. As for looking choosing between a blower with more MPHs or CFMs than the other, look at one with the best combo of both. Thats what I did anyway. If you're power hungary, go for the 400. I don't care what anyone says, I think Stihl is the best! And it sure beats the crap out of sweeping!

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 10-05-2000, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

We currently run BR400's they get a little ragged out after 3 or 4 years, but that's to be expected. We are looking into changing to Vandermolen next year. They are 750 cfm's and only 19 lbs. Kawasaki engines, they claim 225 mph. As far as we know it's the largest cfm's in the backpack market. For more information you can find them at
wikco@compuserve.com

Good luck,

Jerry's Lawn Service