Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-06-2003, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need ad headline help

going to do a newspaper ad about new lawn installations.
We have had an incredibly wet summer (floods) and lawn installers are WAY backed up. Some folks have been waiting 3 months or more.
I want to use this opportunity to get my name out to these folks and pick up a bunch of finish grading/seeding business. (first year on my own and specializing in turf installs/rennovations).
Any good ideas for a catchy headline about getting a new lawn done???????????????

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

here's some ideas

Good luck with getting some new business out there. Here's a couple ideas...

Don't let the rain wash your money away too, let abc landscaping build your new yard for you.

(fill in your name for abc)

Don't wait for Santa to bring you a new lawn, give abc landscaping a call, we won't make you wait until Christmas.

Just a couple idea while I am sitting here. I would try to stress the "we won't make you wait" issue, as it would seem this would be the main reason people would search for someone else.

Hope they help.

TWINS Lawn Care
Old 08-06-2003, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I think headlines should be short and sweet, to the point. And prompting a simple question that readers can answer quickly is also an effective way to target customers, IMO. Then perhaps you could state something about schedule flexibility and timeliness.

How about -

Howís your lawn looking?
Lawn renovations are what we do.
And we offer a flexible schedule that will meet your needs.

Good luck.
Rick
Old 08-06-2003, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Warning!!! Don't Call Any Landscape Company Before You Read This:

1) Get Attention... Headline is worth up to 90% of the ad...

2) Show an advantage... Fix their problem...

3) Prove it.... Why you?

4) Entice them to grab your offer... 100% guaranteed....

5) Ask for action... Act now and receive bonus... wait and lose out.

Good Luck, Clay

If nothing seems to please a customer, simply give 'em more of it! :-)
Old 08-08-2003, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Clay,

Do you have an ad that you created that involves all of your suggestions? If not, do you know of a link to an ad that does? I would like to see it!

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I saw a construction company ad the other day that said

FREE!!! estimates. Call xxx xxx xxxx

Caught my attention, thought it was clever.

Old 08-08-2003, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Gopher
Hi Clay,

Do you have an ad that you created that involves all of your suggestions? If not, do you know of a link to an ad that does? I would like to see it!

Thanks.
Hello to you Team Gopher,

Well, I will take a while and consider your request... I'm a little taken aback as you have been the first to make a request to post an ad...

I've met a couple of people online that I have written sales letters for without charge as I have considered marketing as a backup or next career after landscape... One business owner on the east coast who received a sales letter said that he would gladly have paid $500 to $1,000 just for the sales letter....

I owned a marketing company a few years back and wrote hundreds of sales letters while studying from some of the most successful copywriters in history... It is definitely an artform that takes a good deal of practice and I'm not sure that I am ready to give away too much... But I'm really not ready to set up shop either (maybe this winter???)

I will give it some thought during my Friday routine and maybe at least lay out some proven guidlines to help improve effectiveness...

The first bit of advice would be to NOT trust an advertising agency, phone book salesman, or newspaper advertiser...

Ad agency will say stuff like "get your name out there" "repetition sales"... sure it does, considering they are making a percentage on every ad you place... If an ad didn't work the first time, why would you repeat it??? HELLO.... And you are selling a solution to a problem, not your name (I know that's a hard one for some of you to swallow :-)

Phone books and paper advertisers want the bulk of responses to be spread out evenly so that everyone gets enough new business to justify keeping their ad running... How do you do that? Make them all look and sound alike... The only difference being the SIZE of the ad... They will discourage anyone trying to run an ad that might take the lions share by saying stuff like "oh, we've tried that type of ad before and they don't work very well"

Sorry... just some rambling...

Later, Clay

If nothing seems to please a customer, simply give 'em more of it! :-)