Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-25-2000, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I, like many of you, am a professional. I run a legitimate business. I am heavily insured, am licensed, pay taxes and maintain quality equipment. I also, like many of you find myself competing, at least on bids and estimates, with the scrubs that will always give a lower price than I will. <p>I have been thinking about printing up some brochures to better educate the customer on making the right decision in choosing a quality lawn care company. I believe that customers will pay the extra money, IF they know the differnce between me and &quot;Joe Blow's Fly by Night Lawn Care&quot;. Most homeowners don't know the difference, and make thier decision based on the one varying factor they do know, price. <p>I don't want to sound like a salesman on the estimate by downgrading my competion, nor do I wish to take the &quot;pressure sales&quot; route. I emphasize quality on my estimates. I would like to leave a brouchure educating the customer about the differences between a good lawn care company that is insured and will do a good job and the guy working out of a station wagon, uninsured, giving a bad cut for $5-$10 less per cut.<p>What should I emphasize? Insurance is the obvious issue. Licensing? Years in business? Knowledge of turf and fertilizers? Dependability? Full service lawn care (shrubs, trees, soil samples, ect.)? What could I add to this list? What should I leave out? What should I play up during the estimate? What has worked for you and what hasn't? Any advice will be appreciated. <p>Another idea would be to print out mass copies (50,000+) of a full color brouchure and make it available to members of this site. This would save us money as opposed to having 200 printed up at a local shop and give us an avenue to show the customers the difference in a real professional up front, instead of getting that same account 7 months down the road after they have been through 5-6 scrubs.<br>Just a suggestion. Comments?<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GrassRoots Lawn Care
Old 06-25-2000, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

sounds like very good idea if you would let me take look at your idea like to do it myself lost to many lawns to scrubs.<p>----------<br>Jason M. Falkner<br>All Green Lawn Care
Old 06-25-2000, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll buy a bunch if you do it.
Old 06-25-2000, 08:37 PM
Banned

Just a thought, why do you go to Wal-Mart when the local hardware store has what you need for $1.00 more?
Old 06-25-2000, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Grasscape,<p>It was just an idea I was posting. I do not have the marketing or publishing expertise or an exhaustive knowledge of this field to print the brouchures. Not to mention the cash to front 50,000+ copies. I was looking at the collective printing from a consumer's perspective. I might print these up and try them locally. I will let you know how it goes though. If someone, with more expertise and cash could print them and distribute them, I'm in for 500 copies. They could even profit from the idea. I don't know how we would sell or distribute them. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
Old 06-25-2000, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Curlawngreen wrote &quot;Just a thought, why do you go to Wal-Mart when the local hardware store has what you need for $1.00 more?&quot;<p>Wal-Mart and other discount retail stores sell products. Products that are identical. Wal-Mart sells commodities. I sell a service. There is a difference. All 12 packs of Pepsi are identical, all lawn services do not provide the same service. Wal-Mart sells trimmers, lots cheaper than my local lawn equipment suppliers but I when it comes time to purchase a trimmer I go to my local commercial lawn equipment dealer, not because of price, but because they sell a superior product & service. I sell a superior service compared to 99% of my competition. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GrassRoots Lawn Care
Old 06-25-2000, 10:19 PM
Banned

Just a thought, why do you go to Wal-Mart when the local hardware store has what you need for $1.00 more?
Old 06-25-2000, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grassroots,<br>I think you've got a good idea there. I am employed full time for a newspaper, and some local lawn care companies have had fliers printed up for us to insert into our paper. They specified for all of the inserts to go into subcriber copies, rather than the copies sold in the stores and newspaper racks. That way they can be sure that insert goes directly into the reader's home. <br>If this sounds good to you, you might outta give it a try with your local paper. These inserts were single sheet, and printed on front and back. We do the single sheet inserts for $44/thousand. <br>Good luck.<p>Tim
Old 06-25-2000, 11:22 PM
bill phagan

Mike, start with the criteria they should use when choosing a lawn profession. Licensed, Insured, time in bus, certifications, education, memberships, credentials, licenses, etc. Then a list of your services you can provide, TESTIMONIALS from current and past customers, NO Free stuff like a free month service or the like, maybe a slogan unlike the latest one I saw.....&quot;Today's services at yesterdays' prices&quot;. Referral from your current customers, newsletter to educate new and old customers, magnetic business cards for the refrig, speak at HOA functions about green topics....show your expertise. And they'll show you the money! Does your property demonstrate it's current value? Do you have the time or expertise to oversee your grounds services? What are your concerns about your property? Qualify them before you waste your time, then go sell them using the consultative approach. Check my site for more info...www.greenindconsulting.com<p>Good luck!<p>Bill Phagan<br>Green Ind Consulting.Inc.
Old 06-25-2000, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I was just saying we are in if you decide to do it in the future. I dont think most customers understand the amount of cutters w/o insurance, and if something happens(injury to pet, child, etc.) God forbid, they are not liable.<br>They do not understand equpipment, and that lowballers stuff will break mid-season, and they will bail, or not show up because they are at the beach.<br>It's nice to help them understand they are not just paying for a lawn cutting, but the know how, and rekiability that will come with it.