Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2000, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is the incentive for a "by the cut" customer to convert to an annual agreement? Do you give them scheduling priorities, discounts over weekly rate X 4? If the going rate in a given area for a standard 1/4 acre lot is $20 per cut for mow, edge, trim & blow-total of $80/mo. would a yearly per month charge be, say, $65? Otherwise, what incentive would a customer have that doesn't have a sprinkler system go annual. When the grass stops growing in the fall, they just save money. Don't mean to ask such a dumb question but just starting and want to know how to sell my new accounts on going yearly so I can feed my son this winter. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2000, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the winter time I do other things in the yard and sometimes the customer will want me to something else like clean there garage or porch. Most of the time I just rake there leaves or trim hedges.
Old 06-25-2000, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

i try to base all my accounts on 40 cuts a year but i live FL.20x40 cuts is 800 divde by 12 months is 66 so 65 is fiar<br>and on my off weeks in winter i try too do odd jobs.
Old 06-25-2000, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bassman, The incentive for your customer is that they can budget their lawn maintenance costs throughout the year. 100% of my accounts are under contract to me. I often sell it by comparing it to the gas bill I used to get monthly when I lived in Pittsburgh. (I'm now in central FL). The gas company would put you on a &quot;budget plan&quot; so that you could level out your payments. Instead of getting $200 per month bills all winter and $10 per month all summer, you received $100 bills all year long. I base my charge on 41 cuts per year. Weekly April through October, then bi-weekly November through March. Decide what to charge on a per cut basis, then multiply that by 41 or 40, then devide by 12, the result is their montly cost. The customer has to trust that you'll still be in business in the summer after paying all winter and you have to trust that the customer will continue to pay you through the winter. This is achived by having a signed contract (I call mine an aggreement). If you would like a copy to use as an example e-mail me at mowerman@atlantic.net
Old 06-25-2000, 10:30 PM
bill phagan

Bassman,<p>Just did an article on &quot;You may be nuts if you do per cuts&quot; e-mail me with the request and I'll send it...lots of good info.<p><br>bill Phagan gibiz@aol.com