Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-22-2000, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

During the day I'll drink water,or diet 7-up.I also eat 1 or 2 apples over the day. Dehydration can come over days so its good to drink more water thanyoou think you need. You can notice if you becoming water depleated if your pee is starting to turn a dark yellow.<p>Stay away from caffiene or drinks with sugar in them. Caffiene is a diuretic, it takes a large amount of water to dilute a teaspoon of sugar.<br>
Old 06-22-2000, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lift or chocolate flavoured milk.<p>Karl<br>
Old 06-22-2000, 08:29 AM
bill phagan

Some other things you can do besides the above......learned some things after the &quot;bear&quot; got me a time or two. Right now it's hotter than a redneck's truck tires and we all need to protect ourselves out there...water and/or Gatorade should not be ice cold to preclude cramps, don't eat greasy or heavy lunches, always keep on your shirts ON as they act as a cooling unit with your sweat, take frequent breaks, maybe start later in the day and work after the sun goes down, a cool rag around the neck works wonders and God forbid we develop skin cancers. I would get checked at least yearly with a dermatologist and take the pictures they have to compare on your skin. Skin creams and SPF lotions will run off you like Niagra Falls but continual application will help...along with a big hat and light colored shirts. The heat and especially the humidity in Florida is nightmarish as it is in other places....protect yourselves out there!<p>Bill Phagan
Old 06-22-2000, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I keep water mostly, but some of the health food stores have a packet drink called EMERGEN &quot;C&quot;. It is a vitamin and electrolyte drink. Generly 2 to 3 packets per day. A partner of mine on the fire dept who runs marithons told me about it, it works great! On the relly hot days Ill drink one before I start to &quot;load up&quot; another trick the marithon runner told me. An interesting thing though the more you need it the better it taste even though it dosnt taste bad to begen with.<br>It isnt herbs Charles so this arkie dosnt have to worry about it being a duiretic. lol<br>The water/gateraid is recommended for heat related emergencies. <br>Watch out for Heat Cramps they are a step below Heat Prostration which is right before Heat Stroke. So if you get cramps stop then! They dont alwayse happen but be careful. I alwayse try to take lynch between 1:30 and 2:00 when it is the hottest part of the day.<br>
Old 06-22-2000, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawngator, I've been using the TwinLab for 2 months and I highly recommend it.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
Old 06-22-2000, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

H2O, and lots of it. Start an hour or two before I go out.<br>But I would like to know more about the Twinlab product. How and where is it sold??<br>It may be in the the local stores, just haven't been aware, so I haven't looked.<br>Thanks
Old 06-22-2000, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought mine at www.netrition.com but I'm sure you can pick it up at most health food stores. I did save about $10 buying online though. $14 for the canister and it makes 95 gallons at half strength.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida
Old 06-22-2000, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ice water with a few fresh lemons and limes. It tastes great and the citrus helps clean your system...
Old 06-23-2000, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Mike: I operate in and around San Antonio,TX.<br>so I can relate. First thing in the morning before leaving the house I hydrate my body by drinking 2 large glasses of water. We have 2 coolers on the truck, because one just isn't enough for all day. In one cooler I mix the powder Gatorade and the other with plain water & not alot of ice.Some of my employees stop at the convience store for a Coke. These are same people you will see puking up later that afternoon,then there through for the day. I condition and pace myself with the heat by drinking and eating small ammounts throughout the day.Also I take breaks perodically and wear a hat plus prefer not to use A/C in the truck until the end of the day 60mph A/C is more my style.<br>Sometimes when I want to go home I'll drink a Carbo Force, this is what body builders sip on during a workout. You'll feel a big difference & they can be had in a assortment of flavors at your local GNC.
Old 06-23-2000, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Water. But some days you can't drink it quickly enough. Something I learned from an old Marine Sergeant: Drink water in the evenings and eat bananas or something high in Potassium. This helps to keep the cramps away when you sleep and allows you body to absorb water rather than flush your kidneys with it. Stay away from coffee, tea, and especially soda and beer. This is the only thing I hate about my job. No beer in the summer. Well maybe just one...