Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2003, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Charge extra for ovewrgrown laws?

Do you all charge extra of you show up to a new customer only to find their lawn has not been mowed in weeks and is REALLY tall? This hppened to me the other day, and it took me a lot longer to mow..
Old 08-14-2003, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I do now. When I first got started, I had a couple of customers who had not edged in years. Not only did it take longer than normal to edge, but in a couple of cases, I had to use a shovel to pick up and haul off big hunks of grass (slod almost). Since shovels don't have motors, I'd really rather not use them - especially for free.

There is a temptation to just eat the extra time that the first service takes, but there are two problems with that approach. First, you could get it looking nice and the customer might decide that it would be easy for them to take over from there and drop you. Second, it tells a new customer that you will do things for free. They need to understand from the beginning that things which take longer than the normal service will cost more than the normal price. If you donít get the business because you tell them that the first service will cost more, you donít want that customer any way. By the way, I donít charge more for the first visit if the lawn is in good shape Ė only if they need ďremedialĒ service.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi JR Lawns,

"Do you all charge extra of you show up to a new customer only to find their lawn has not been mowed in weeks and is REALLY tall? "

Some of our Gopher users do charge extra for such a situation. I have even heard that some put this in their contract with the customer.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

charge them for the extra time. tell them the price up front
Old 08-15-2003, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i always always always charge extra for poor edges, high grass...why not you will be there longer to shape it up...i too have had to shovel edged grass off of concrete...i usually charge at least 10-20 more just to do that...high grass at least 5-12more dollars...$30 dollar yord becomes 50-60 depending how bad it is in shape...i completely explain this when talking to the customer before the work is started...
Old 08-15-2003, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Always charge more. Remember it puts more strain on your mower and your back to make those yards look great
Old 08-15-2003, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you wait twice as long to fill the gas tank of your truck, doesn't it cost more? If you only buy groceries once a month instead of weekly, doesn't it cost more? Then why do people expect that they can get a lawn guy to cut tall weeds for the same price as regular maintenance cuts?
I have to go to a lawn today, an every-other weeker, that should be weekly, especially this year with all the rain we've been having. They cancelled last Thursday (I'm told to call first before mowing, every time, as the guy is sick). Then they called this Wednesday, expecting me to drop everything and rush up to Bristol and cut their yard. It's out of my way, as I only have one yard in Bristol. Waddaya bet, they'll expect it done for regular price. I'll knock on the door, and give them a price. I told them last year, that if they let it go too tall, I would do this, and they were pretty good after that about letting me keep to my schedule. I have only met the wife, she blames her husband. "I know, but he said..."
I don't know what sickness this guy has, that sometimes it's ok to come over, and sometimes not. Last Thursday, he didn't use the sickness excuse, he said it was too wet. It would have been easier to cut wet than three weeks growth will be. As wet as it has been this year, it should be cut weekly.
I'm just gonna say, "Mow Money"
Crawdad
Old 08-15-2003, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Perhaps he has a case of brown bottle flu? Can't take the noise from the equipment!
Old 08-15-2003, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He's fixin to have a case of "Mow it yerself!" I'm going over there today to "bobbygedd" him. Pay up, buddy, I'm sweating my balls off!
Crawdad
Old 08-15-2003, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd definitely agree you need to charge additional.
We do on an initial time of servicing the lawn to bring it up to a "normal" condition. The customers have had no objection due to the fact it looks 10 times better with it edged and trimmed correctly. So long as the customers can see why they are getting charged extra, they never seem to have a problem with paying extra.
You should always charge for what you do, that is the only way to survive.