Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2003, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Comparing Notes/Pricing/Work

Just thought I'd run this by the folks at Lawn Site to see if I'm charging enough. Don't think I am. Would like input.

I just started in January and I have 27 residential accounts. I mow 22 of them on Wednesdays. I wake up at 5:45am on Wednesdays, get a bag of ice, get my Mexican and start cutting by 7:00am. Typically, I'm done by 4:30 or 5:00, but by the time I drop off the Mexican and drop off my trailer, I've put in 12 hours.

With me and the Mexican, it's a two man crew. I gross $630 on Wednesdays. I pay the Mexican $120 and buy his lunch. I end up making $510 before gasoline or any other expenses.

My route is real tight...not much drive time at all.

Am I working too cheap?

Thanks in advance and I'd like to hear what y'all are able to make in a day and what y'all are paying labor and how many hours y'all are working per day.

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 08-16-2003, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thats 42.50 an hr
Old 08-16-2003, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

based on working from 7 til 4 30 with 30 mins lunch, that is a 9 hour day....or 18 man hours. $630/ 18 man hours gets you $35 per hour. Only you know your expenses, so are you charging enough?

I would bet that your helper is very pleased with his wage. $120/ 9 hours is $13.33 per hour, plus lunch! Id almost work for that much. Again though, only you know if you are doing well.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Suspended

I think your doing OK.

But, with only 27 lawns why you need a helper?
Old 08-16-2003, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

++++But, with only 27 lawns why you need a helper?++++

Here in Dallas it's 100 degrees normally. Roughly there abouts.

I can work two days in the heat and make $630 or get a Mexican and work one day in the heat and make $510.

Guess I'm lazy, but I fugure my time on day two would only pay $120...I'm worth more than $12/hr.

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 08-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Suspended

OK
Old 08-17-2003, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Your average price per yard is 23.33. You must have some small yards to be getting 27 done in a day with just two of you. By the way, does your worker have a name or is it just my Mexican?
Either way, I think you are doing well. Why all in one day? Do you have another job?
Old 08-17-2003, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

++++You must have some small yards to be getting 27 done in a day with just two of you++++

We're only doing 22 lawns in one day.

How many lawns are other folks able to do in one day...How much do you gross...how many men in a crew...how much are you paying your crews?

I'm curious to see how my operation compares to others'.

Thanks.
DFW, TX
Old 08-19-2003, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well im in the dallas area, south dallas and i make at least 35 an hr. i work by myself and have my yards spread out so im done before it gets hot... but im using a 21" toro. yea it does get hot and if im ever behind i havea friend help me. you shouldnt pay your worker more than 10 an hr if he is one of the guys off royal or somewhere where they all hang out and wait for work... the amout u are paying him well lets just say this you could pay him 200 for 2 days and you sit at home if you use him on a reg basis... and he knows everything but if he is illegal i doubt he has a license.

o and last year when i had my 32" hydro i was making 60 an hr.

pm me if you want to get sum lunch or sumthing and talk about it some more....

u have another job? that why only work wed?
Old 08-21-2003, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

++++last year when i had my 32" hydro i was making 60 an hr++++

I'm using a 32" hydro also. How do you gross $60/hr with that by yourself?

My next door neighbor used one of the more popular lawn services last summer. This company, I would assume, has their pricing set correctly. Anyway, they paid $28 to have their lawn mowed. The lawn is about 4,200 sq ft, has an alley driveway, a swing set and two trees that are not pruned high enough, forcing a lot more time with the lawn mower.

If I use my 32" hydro and do all the work by myself, I can barely make $35/hr on that account. That price allows for 48 minutes with zero drive time. If you factor in 4 minutes of drive time, you've got to be done with that lawn in 44 minutes. For me, that's tough to do.

I'd be lucky to mow that lawn using my 32" hydro and be done in 44 minutes. It would probably be a little closer to 50 minutes, I'd guess.

Anyway, how do you come anywhere close to $60/hr by yourself with a 32" hydro?

And if you were making $60/hr with the 32" hydro, why did you decide to start using a 21" mower?

I just don't think I could come anywhere close to $60 per man hr and win any business. With my pricing where it's at right now, I'm struggling to gross $30 per man hour.

Later,
osu2winbig12