Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-21-2003, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DFW,
It reads to me like you are working outside the law based on your post.

Your helper ("the Mexican" as you refer to him with a racist undertone) is an employee of yours. If you are not paying employer taxes, withholding on his pay, etc. you are in sad shape.

Lance L is in the same boat with his "friend" helping him out.

Last edited by Green in Idaho; 08-21-2003 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Yep Idaho:

Isn't it a great thing that the lawncare industry isn't strictly regulated and these guys can roam freely without fear of prosecution?
Old 08-22-2003, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

im not about to fill out any paperwork for a friend that is helpin me for 4 hrs on a sat once every 2 months... and why do people always get off subject?

hmmm well i dont know how i make 60/hr i just did my yards that take me about 40 mins now i get 25 bux for and thats with a 21" mower. i sold my 32 because i needed the money i was tired of paying bill and i didnt have close to a full work load. so i decided to sell it and get the money and use my 21's when i have 40 hrs of work then i will upgrade to whatever.

o and with the 32 i cut all my times in half pretty much i didnt have really any yard i was at for more than 30 min except for a few big ones.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

THE point raised by Green In Idaho, is THE point!
If you're not running a legitimate business, your 'expenses' are not on the same playing field as others that are.
Whether you're hiring/paying an illegal or a friend, if the pay is under the table, you're still not in the same ball park as those who do things the way they're suppose to be done by law.

Meier, I don't look at things the same way you do evidently. Your figures and the way they are presented indicate you have no real idea what your % of profit is. Much less what your true cost of doing business is.
I'd be more concerned about the numbers per job and then the bottom line after all factors considered.

Maybe it's the difference between having a job cutting grass and running an LCO.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

++++Meier, I don't look at things the same way you do evidently. Your figures and the way they are presented indicate you have no real idea what your % of profit is. Much less what your true cost of doing business is.
I'd be more concerned about the numbers per job and then the bottom line after all factors considered.++++

I guess maybe my original questions were lost in your attempt to belittle me.

EBITDA -- Earnings Before Interest Taxes Depriciation & Amortization. That's all I'm trying to figure out...how much EBITDA I've got on a full days worth of work.

My questions for the board was and still is (a bit nosey I suppose, but no one has to anwer):

How much do you gross on a full day? How many men are in your crews? How much do you pay your crew? How many hours in a full day for that crew? How many lawns in a full day?

Thanks,
DFW, TX
Old 08-22-2003, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Meier,
Are there two of you? I ask, because the 'sound' of your first post is quite different from your last. Your questions in the first post were "Am I charging enough" and "how many hours are you working", and to make sure we knew you have a "Mexican" working for you. That is not what was asked in the last post.

Now that you've been called on the possibility of not running a legitimate business, you change your tune. Didn't mean to "belittle" you, but few here will take seriously a post from an 'off the books' operation.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Meier, BTW I DID mean to belittle you! Just like you are belittling someone else by calling them "My Mexican". Reminds me of the days when people said, "" Well I'm sure even you can figure that out....
Old 08-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Suspended

I have no recollection

I can not answer the question for fear that any answer I give might give grounds to prosecution against me by law

Old 08-23-2003, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by GLAN
I have no recollection

I can not answer the question for fear that any answer I give might give grounds to prosecution against me by law

LOL
Old 08-23-2003, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is a great thread, Realistic Income...where do I plan.... with a lot of insight for further investigation.