Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2003, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

How do I prepare?

I'm 17 years old, and a Senior in high school. I've always had a small "business" consisting of only 3-4 yards. Nothing big, and I only use simple equipment. I've always wanted to have my own business...I plan on getting good equipment when I get a little more into the job after I'm out of school. I personally enjoy more of the mowing part then I do the actual landscaping.
I've heard rumors of needing a lot of business classes, and a lot of advanced math classes (Pre-Cal, and Calculus.) I can't see actually needing these types of math classes, so I'm curious as to how many of you guys have taken the classes.
Do I really need those kinds of classes? Do I need a high education in college? Or can I just get by w/ more simple classes, and make it just fine? I just need a little help on what I should do when it comes to schooling. Please help!
Old 08-19-2003, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It will never be considered a mistake if you go to college and get your degree in whatever you are interested in. Business management classes are beneficial regardless of what your major is. If you don't like math, be a Criminal Justice major. You don't need calculus to put on a pair of handcuffs. But, I use some sort of math everyday in this business, but not the real complicated stuff.
The reason I believe in getting a degree is for the fact that in 15-20 years you may be tired of the lawncare business and want to make a change. Having a degree will make it easier to find a decent job. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Tinmansoccer11,

Lombardi has good advice! Get the highest level of education you can! You can still run a business while you are in school.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

So true....you may simply tire of it, or you may be in a wheelchair. Not to be morbid, but if we get hurt, we MUST have a back up plan. Not to mention, when things are going great, you can get good people to run it for you, and try other things, and it would help later in life if you already had the degrees, or certifications...thats is, if you think you know something that you may like to try later on down the road.

Do as I say, not as I do.

Sure wish I had gotten a few degrees, but I guess it's never too late.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

~Nest
Old 08-19-2003, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Once you have your education, nobody can take it away from you. I have a Bachelor of Science Degree, and am mowing lawns. It just works out that way sometimes. I am glad I got my education, it puts me head and shoulders above the competition,even though the degree was in a totally unrelated field.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

So you're saying that I don't have to specifically get a degree in some type of "landscaping class" to be able to have a successful landscaping or lawn care business? I'm just making sure that I understand what you're saying. I would much rather get a degree in something else (as a back up) but still have the freedom to start a nice lawn care business. Another question...is there a big difference in money between landscaping, and just lawncare? Can you honestly get pretty wealthy w/ both? Just curious. Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it. Being a Senior, I kind of need to get my game plan rolling in the right direction, and I'm kind of stressed out about it! Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out some of your local technical schools and see if they have a horticulture program. I'm going to a tech. school now and in Dec. I will have an accociates degree in Horticulture. I love the classes I get to take and it will all help me in the future with landscaping.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tinman,
If you were to ask, I would bet that the majority of the people who have degrees and have a lawn care business have their degrees in unrelated fields. Mine happens to be in Criminal Justice. I used that degree for 15 years in the Criminal Justice field prior to starting my own business. You can be successful in any field regardless of what you degree is in.
Yes, in my opinion there is a big difference in profit between lawn care and landscaping. Most of my revenue is generated through landscaping, but that is how I choose to run my business. Both can be profitable if you run them correctly.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Tinman, I started my business just like you fresh out of High school. I am now 22 years old and I'm doing really great in the lawn care business. I always said that when I got of of high school I would never step foot back in another school again. Now I have almost all of my equipent paid off. (Two nice scag riders, 97 ford 150, 93 Ford mason dump, 2 trailers 16ft/12ft and whole lot more) I even have a nice heated shop to keep it all in. On Tuesday I am starting my first class at Ucon's Tuff grass mang. program. I am getting to the point whare I am going to expand and Get move involed in the landscaping end of things. There is so many leads in this business that I want to get into and thats why I am going back to school. I would recommend school only because you might get burnt out in a three or 4 years just cutting lawns. I need challenge in my life and cutting grass is not fulling the gap. Thats why I'm looking to back to school to learn something new. Cutting grass has done me very well and it is good money if you do it the right way. Trust me, It has its up and downs. I know if I dont go back to school now then I will never go back. Either way I think school would be a good thing. no matter what study. Have the bis. on the side. You can still make good money. Just my 002 cents!
Old 08-21-2003, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

tinmansocce11,
You'll never regret an education unless you don't put your heart and soul into it. But, you must invest in your future as well. Try working your way through college by keeping your business--if it's what you really want to do. But, by all means, please, take some leadership classes while you are there, if they offer it. They will be invaluable to you in running a business. Don't just go for the standard "business administration" classes. Leadership is what you will need to succeed in expanding you business. You may even want to consider majoring in it.