Register free!

Old 08-24-2003, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HELP - urgent advise needed!

GRASSHOPPERS

Here in the midwest we are expierencing a terrible hot and dry period. One of the problems that comes with this condition is GRASSHOPPERS.

A client of mine is having her daughters wedding this early Fall in her garden and has been througth a lot of expenses and hard work to get the landscaping and lawn in excellent condition. Now, all of a sudden the grasshoppers are moving in on it and is ruining it for her.

Local LCO's do not want to spray anything or do not intend to do anything about it - their motive is: grasshoppers move around all the time, you spray today and tommorrow there is a new investation of grasshoppers.

My question to you is: what can we do??? If there is a product available what is it, how should it be applied

Hoping to hear from you guys soon

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software.
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day trial here.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have in the meantime surfed the web to see if I can find any help on this topic. Got a whole lot of valueable info from the UNL Cooperate Extension service.

Basically, Grasshoppers do not feed on grasses of a well kept and healthy lawn. They usually migrate to lawns from croplands and control measures in lawns are seldom necessary.

Adult grasshoppers are the most difficult to control due to their size and decreased susceptibility to insecticides. Best time to control is during their 3rd and 4th instars when they are 1/2" - 3/4" long. These stages will occur in mid to late June.

CARBARYL is the only product that is formulated as a bait for grasshopper control. This insecticide is impregnated onto wheat bran flakes or into small pellets. This bait is applied by hand to the soil surface or areas of minimal surface residue so the grasshoppers can easily find it. You need to re-apply it after heavy rains or dews as the product will not persist under these conditions.

They say if most Grashoppers are adults, the best control will be obtained by spraying the maximum labelled insectecide rates for Carbaryl or Acephate or (and they have a long list of pesticides).

Well, this says a lot right there, my only problem from reading all this info and summarising it is that my application might be too late.
I hope this info helped some of you expierencing the same problem. Any other control measures or advise?

Last edited by pcnservices; 08-24-2003 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

pcnservices

As I started reading your post liquid Sevin (Carbaryl) was the first thing to come to mind. Grasshoppers are not a big problem in my area, in fact we see very few. I would go with the Orthene because it is less hazardous to the environment. Yes it might not work real good but you sometimes must treat to keep your customer happy.

I guess the point I am trying to make is. Sometimes we must do the wrong thing, or things we don't thing will work to keep our customers happy.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Pcnservices,

Here is a product I found.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ric & Mike,
Thanks for your responses and advise. I contacted our Lesco agency and they did have the Carbaryl on hand. They also recommended Talstar.
The Nolo Bait look like an excellent product. The enviro friendly / organic people will appreciate this one. Like all organic products, its a little on the expensive side - ($90 for 5 pounds)
Thanks again
PC