Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-08-2000, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dave wrote:

{t-230 average 5 years at 269.00 i told him to do the math.not to cut you down Richard ,but I think your in the same situation due the math}

Apparently math (or dealer profit margins anyway) is different where you live. I can buy T-230s at 3 different dealers for $229.00. That gives me a per year cost of $45.80 based on a 5 year lifespan. You would have to buy a minimum of 3 Homelites (probably more) to go five years. That would be 3 X $109.00 or $327.00 divided by 5 for a per year cost of $65.40. Like I said in my previous post, the Shindaiwa (or Echo) ends up being cheaper in the long run.

In the case of your Echo for $200.00 at 3 years that comes out to $66.66 per year. Even if I were to pay $269.00 for my T-230s it still only comes out to 53.80 per year (based on <i><b>your</i></b> 5 year Shindaiwa lifespan quote). I think you need to buy a calculator.

[Edited by Richard Martin on 10-08-2000 at 02:37 PM]

Old 10-08-2000, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget about the inital cost. The productivity gains of a 25cc COMMERCIAL trimmer are so huge that your labor costs (yes you will have labor costs in a couple years) are saved tremendously.
Old 10-08-2000, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i LOVE MY kbl 26 kawi,its 10 lbs and has lots of power,the only thing i changed was to cut down the big shield a bit thats it.I love this trimmer and friends have bought them after using mine.I was gonig to buy a redmax but they wouldnt let me try one-there loss.
Old 10-08-2000, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would spend the extra money and buy the echo-i run all stihl and i have never had any problem with them-you ought to check into them
Old 10-08-2000, 05:41 PM

Homelite= Home Owners

I would never even think about Homejuunk trimmers. I have a couple smr2400 echo's and there ok. There about 2 years old, I think I'm gonna have to replace them next season. I'm gonna buy Redmax. The echos have plenty of power, and I like the way there balanced but i've had some problems with them. Sometimes there hard to start and don't run right sometimes. Plus my workers beat the CRAP out of them, We've been through like 3 or 4 trimmer heads this year.
Old 10-08-2000, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Homelite=crap

Well I'ts kinda like this, once you've owned a Red Max or Shindaiwa trimmer everything else is null and void. Those of us who have the pleasure of running real equipment are in the know! If your worried about $90 then keep working till you can afford what you need! Then buy a REAL trimmer that is dependable for many season to come. I have never seen a professional LCO with Homelite equipment on their trailers and if anybody, they should know.

We kick the competition in the grass!
Old 10-08-2000, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Buy Quality

My 10 1/2 year old Shindaiwa T-27, suffered a gear box problem and is temporary out of commission. Last year I replaced the coil. These are the only two problems I've ever had with this machine. It still starts up on the first or second pull. I have two newer models, but I always liked useing the old one. Buy quality and you won't have to buy a new one every year!

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!