Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-01-2003, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

30 W oil...your preference and why?

Have been using JohnDeere 30w for the Kawasaki engines only because thats what my dealer recommends. Was wondering if I should consider another brand (non synthetic). Was considering Pennzoil.

Some of you are real engine gurus and so I was wondering what brand you recommend and most importantly, WHY that brand??

Thanks
Old 09-01-2003, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i use Chevron 30w, will also use Mobil 1 10w-30 mixed w/ 15w-50 in the car, and may switch to that blend for mowers.

Why? I have read good VOA (virgin oil analyisis) and UOA ( used oil analyisis) on both these products. There are other oils out there that I have liked results on as well. These are just some that i have used recently with good results.

Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and read some of his articles, and go to the forum and start to learn, you will be supprised at how interesting it all is.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I run only Opti-4 SAE 30 in all my small engines. I use the Opti-2 for all my 2 cycle equipment. I've not had an engine failure in anything yet.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Eric...you mentioned this oil to me last year and I went looking for it but couldn't find it anywhere...do you order this or can it be found in a retail store?
Old 09-02-2003, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by GarPA
Eric...you mentioned this oil to me last year and I went looking for it but couldn't find it anywhere...do you order this or can it be found in a retail store?
I get it at my local dealer. Several of the dealers here carry it. Check with other dealers in your area. If I couldn't use Opti I would use Amsoil only.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Amsoil buys their basestock from Mobil and are very similar oils
save some money and go with Mobil 1
Old 09-02-2003, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Saw Man...I did look up that oil website you mentioned....man that stuff went way....over my head....but thanks for the address.

I've never used synthetic so since the mower is 2 years old and way beyond the break in/warranty period I guess I'll give synthetic a try.....being from the old school this will be a new oil experience for me...hah
Old 09-02-2003, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I stick with the name brand oils, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc. The detergent packages are better than the quick trip brand. I don't abuse or neglect my engine, so synthetic or other overkill brands don't interest me. I change my oil frequently and regularly which I believe is better than synthetic. No oil can totally remove the dirt and by products from combustion. I prefer an oil change over a synthetic any day.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey sawman, I have been looking for a site that talked about lubes. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have been using JD oil in my equipment, John Deere is using Shell oil , i have used it for 800 hours in my jd 188 and i am using it in all my equipment, the cost isnt much more than other non syn thetic oils, I was a mechanic for 19 years before going in to lawn care full time, i dont see the advantage of synthetics, i always thought we changed oil to remove the dirt and by- products of combustion, but any ways i dont want to start a fight, what ever makes ya happy and works for each other is the name of the game happy cuttin to all