Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-11-2003, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats the same opinion the supervisor of the mechanics at my dealer says. This dealer has 6 mechanics and they do a boatload of maintenance on just about every commercial mower in this area so he sees all kinds of situations with our machines. But as you say there are different opinions about sys vs non-syn.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I forgot to mention that the reason i use the jd oil is because it is shell and we used that in our fleet maintenance program with great sucess, and becuase i pick up the oil when getting my filters and other parts from my dealer, one stop does it all, well most of it anyway he he

Old 09-14-2003, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ive always used 10w-30 and never had an engine take a dump on me.why do they recommend just 30w?>
Old 10-02-2003, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I always use Mobil 1: Airstream Motorhome, GMC Yukon, Saturn, and all my small engines requiring oil. I change it often, just as you would regular oil. I've not had a problem. I do get a long life out of my equipment, and it always runs like new. I also keep up all the other maintenance, which helps. Don't know if this is good or bad, but it has worked for me for years.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont like straight 30 weight oil cause it makes it harder to pull when its' colder out.. I think that the 10w30 is the most versitile weight for power equipment, having been using it for 9 years... BUt have thrown in some amsiol for a while , but could not justify the added expense since I am a nut and change the oil every 25 hours or so with new oil filters. I even have a machine I only put like 10 hours on a month and that gets changed every month regardless.. Thats actually my rule of thumb.... Monthly or sooner if hours permit.... Ohh and I use SHell , just cause its good quality oil and I get it from the same supplier I get my Hastings oil filters from....
Old 10-09-2003, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
Ive always used 10w-30 and never had an engine take a dump on me.why do they recommend just 30w?>
10w-30 is an all season oil for cars , because they run during the winter months. When the oil is cold, it will flow like a lighter weight oil until the motor gets to operating temps. Not many mowers see much use when the temps get that low.

In addition, automobile engines run at higher engine speeds and therefore require tighter tolerances for the sake of longevity, whereas most mowers will never see 4000 RPM, so their tolerances are looser. They HAVE to be for pull-start motors, or they would be too tight to start. Therefore a looser tolerance motor requires a thicker blend of oil to cushion the bearings.

Hope that clears things up for y'all.

And for the record, I use 0.75$ el cheepo Dollar Store oil in my equipment, seeing as I change the oil every other month. I gotta 22" Murray 6 horse I have relied on for over 3 years and it was used when I picked it up. Runs great, but in reality it's just a backup in case one of my Toro's go down. One of my Toros is 8 yrs old and uses the same oil with no problems.

Synthetic oil is well and fine to go the distance, but a true green-smith takes care of his equipment, and maintenance is key. If your equipment is seeing a lot of hours between oil changes, then maybe synthetic is the way to go. Change the oil often and they will be there when you need em. We check the oil level before starting them, regardless of if it's been running at all that day or not.

Last edited by Dave_B-The_Grass_Guy; 10-09-2003 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Straight "30 wt gives better cylinder wear" says honda in my old 900 supersport manual. I use Valveline 10-30 sythetic mix in mowers or straight 30 wt. have 10 years on a honda and 10 years on Kohler 12.5
Old 01-09-2004, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

we use Amsoil in all our stuff generally 10w-30 or 10-40 .
I think 10-30s are best cause the engines start a little easier especially in the spring and fall in temps are still quite low I believe is best to have a oil that flows more freely than anything.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

30w is the best oil you can use unless you need 10w-30 for colder climates. never anything like 10w-40 in order to make colder temp oils like 10w-40 they use alot more additives than say 30w, the problem is that an air cooled engines run very hot and do not have a very effecient cooling system. the oil in a air cooled motor does alot of the heat transfering. the additives in the winter weight oil break down at hi temps and cause sludge comprimising the oils ability to lubricate. also thinner weight oils can slip past the rings and burn.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Alright all of you 10/30 guys out there here me out.Your choice oil needs to depend on a few variables. First try to use a GOOD Qaulity oil. Your weather conditions Cold weather use 10/30 In hot climate use 20/50 YES 20/50 I've used for years no problems If your going to use regular oil change OFTEN Use syn you can change less often and extend engine life. As long as you chang oil on a reguilar you can't go wrong.