Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-19-2004, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a john deere 1145 that has over 6000 hours on it, have always used john deere brand oil, and it shows no loss of power what so ever..........
Old 04-20-2004, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarPA
Eric...you mentioned this oil to me last year and I went looking for it but couldn't find it anywhere...do you order this or can it be found in a retail store?
GarPA,

If you need a source for OPTI oil products we sell them with FREE SHIPPING on a nationwide basis. Check our website at:
"http://www.jagorequipment.com" under the LUBRICATION category.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

You cant go wrong with Mobil 1 10w-30, and you get it for a good price at Wal mart around minnesota.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been a mechanic for longer than I would like to admit. Some brands of oil are better than others but invariably the root cause of engine failure is lack of maintenance. All oil is infected by combustion products leaking past the rings. All oil is chopped up by the gears and mechanisms inside any engine. All oil can stand only so much heat. Keep the filters clean, keep the cooling system free of debris and change oil often. I doubt you will have engine problems if you care for it properly.
Just my two cents worth.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mobil 1 here, in all vehicles.

If you like to use a "blend" make sure you're getting a blend, buy one quart of non-syn and mix with one quart of pure syn. Trust no one.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

FYI

You can use synthetic oil in the hydro system. However, you will not gain any added protection by using this type of oil. With the standard 20w50 motor we use, this gives the proper lubrication and protection internally in the pumps and wheel motor throughout the operating temperature range. Synthetic oil will give you the added protection at higher temperatures, but in normal conditions the machine will not generate enough heat to see the benefits. Synthetic oil will not affect the operation or performance of the machine, so you may use this type of oil if you wish.
I am not sure about the engine, since all of the warranty and service is handled by each individual engine manufacturer. You may contact Kohler directly about the use of synthetic oil. Please feel free to contact them at 920-457-4441.

Thanks,

Patrick Rohloff
Technical Service Manager
Scag Power Equipment
Old 04-21-2004, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bugspit, What do you base your statement that dino vs. synthetic oil won't effect the performance or operation of the hydro systems?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It wasn't my statement it was from the Tech service manager at Scag.
I asked him the question about using synthetics, nothing like getting info from the source.

"Synthetic oil will give you the added protection at higher temperatures, but in normal conditions the machine will not generate enough heat to see the benefits. "
Old 04-21-2004, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ah, I thought you were him based on the signature at the bottom. I think his statement is not true at all. There is definately a benifit to lowering the temperature on your hydro system. Lower temp means less friction. Less friction means less wear ant tear. Less wear and tear means longer engine life along with better fuel efficiency. This all translates to more power to the blades and wheels which is a good thing! Mineral based oil does not have the same consistancy as synthetic oil. A true synthetic is the result of a polymersation process not a distillation process. The molecules are all the same. Mix in antifoaming agents some teflon, extreme pressure agents, etc. etc. and you will have extended life in the components. Also there is a BIG difference in different brands of oil.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Mr burn, the key phrase is "in normal conditions the machine will not generate enough heat to see the benefits." I have been to many engine transmission seminars and updates, I have asked many factory reps many questions. They all agree, synth is not bad, just an expensive overkill. In the same breath they say you dont have to buy our oil, their point was that synth is not needed under normal conditions